PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
***This position has the flexibility to be fully remote***
Sony Bend Studio, renowned creator of Days Gone, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Syphon Filter, is seeking outstanding talent to join our passionate and creative family in crafting our next high-profile AAA title.
As the Surfacing Supervisor, you will play a vital role in shaping the artistic direction and advancement of surface visuals for Bend Studio. Your primary responsibility will involve inspiring and leading the development of realistic Materials, and Shaders, while working closely with the Art Director to achieve our visual objectives. Effective communication and coordination with various art and technology disciplines are crucial as you ensure the artistic vision remains cohesive and aligned with the project's overarching goals and aspirations.
- Overseeing and managing the Surfacing team.
- Leading and driving Surfacing initiatives within the studio, collaborating with other departments to develop and implement high-quality and performant visual content related to Textures, Materials, and Shaders.
- Working with team leads, Art Directors, and Art Manager to assess, recruit, and develop the Surfacing team to support studio goals, projects, and initiatives.
- Collaborating with the project Art Director to ensure consistent style and quality across all types of game assets and visuals.
- Working with the Production department to deliver time estimates for texture and material creation. • Troubleshooting surface-related issues in a timely manner to maintain consistent implementation throughout production, working closely with the team.
- Creating documentation, communicating requirements, and providing feedback to internal artists, external partners, and outsource vendors.
- Tracking trends, the latest technology, competition, and newest tools to constantly refine techniques while maintaining a foundation in established artistic practices.
- Lead and drive Surfacing initiatives within the studio and collaborate with other departments to develop
- 10+ years of professional experience as a Surfacing or Shader artist in AAA games and/or film.
- A portfolio showcasing realistic and high-quality real-time Surfacing work, including textures, materials, and shaders for characters, hard surfaces, and organic environments.
- Expert understanding of Photogrammetry, Substance, real-time Shaders, and other related tools and techniques.
- Deep comprehension of how real-time Surfacing and Shaders impact performance and the ability to maintain visual standards while supporting gameplay.
- Familiarity with agile rapid prototyping processes, as well as traditional waterfall methods when necessary for production.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong time management and organizational abilities, with the ability to prioritize work effectively.
- Strong leadership, mentoring, and teaching capabilities.
- Bachelor's degree in art or equivalent industry experience and training.
Please refer to our Candidate Privacy Notice for more information about how we process your personal information, and your data protection rights.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.