CookUnity is the first ever chef-to-consumer platform. Connecting a diverse group of talented chefs with busy food lovers, we’re elevating the at-home dining experience. On a quest to unlock the world’s best food creators and bring their meals to the masses, CookUnity is home to more than 35 of NYC and LA’s most talented chefs. Through a weekly subscription, consumers can select from a robust and ever-changing menu of handcrafted meals that cater to a wide variety of palates and dietary preferences.
Delivering more than 3.5M meals per year and growing 5x YoY, CookUnity is also helping Chefs double their income and build their own teams under their personal brands.
Believing that healthy food fuels stronger communities, CookUnity contributes to an ongoing partnership and donation with the Food Bank For New York City, the city’s major hunger-relief organization working to end food poverty across all five boroughs.
A growing startup with kitchens in Brooklyn and Los Angeles, CookUnity reaches subscribers throughout the country, with ambitious expansion planned for 2021.
What we're looking for
We are looking Lead Product Designer who has experience leading design strategy focused on growth (particularly referrals/virality) for consumer-facing digital products. This role includes people and process management. You should have deep user empathy, a solid understanding of growth loops, and the ability to creatively challenge the baseline assumptions about will drive virality for CookUnity. This is not a "just optimize what we have" role - it is a “think from first principles and capitalize on a huge opportunity” role.
The product design lead for the Virality Squad owns the design strategy and experience (web + mobile) to drive customer virality for CookUnity. It’s a high-impact role that builds on one of our most exciting advantages - the huge growth we have seen in referrals and word-of-mouth. We want to double down and research/test/learn how we might be even more creative driving virality - more sharing with more people more often.
This role starts as an IC to ensure the right amount of focus on the core mission, but will expand to oversee all of the Growth Zone (currently the Acquisition Squad and the Virality Squad). It will then have 1-2 direct reports, with the potential for more as we are growing very quickly.
You'll report to our VP of Product Design, part of the Digital Product Development org led by our Chief Product Officer, who is located in New York City (and who runs the annual NY Product Conference!).
As a Growth leader, you’ll partner with product, marketing, engineering, data, and CX to establish the product strategy, OKRs, and roadmap. Together, you'll run our high-tempo experimentation program and deliver outcomes at a rapid pace. It's a combination of optimization of our current (successful) referral program, with foundational research, creative thinking, and smart testing around how to drive our growth loops at an even faster pace.
You can hear more about some of our research practices on the UserTesting Human Insights podcast.
This is a full-time hire.
- Uncover insights (through research, data, and empathy) about our raving fans to understand how they should best spread the word to their friends and family who are a great fit for CookUnity.
- Design delightful, high-converting experiences for both the referrer and the referee.
- Support and participate in high-tempo experimentation (e.g. concept testing, A/B testing, painted door testing) to rapidly learn what will have the greatest impact.
- Partner with the Acquisition squad to set the Growth Zone design strategy, guiding the design process using user-centered design principals.
- Collaborate with our Marketing team, designing and testing experiences tied closely to our brand positioning to draw in our best fit subscribers.
- Contribute to team process by implementing current best practices in product design, as well as industry trends.
- Work closely with product managers to define and ensure project/feature success.
- Work closely with engineers, continue to refine design-to-dev processes to ensure highest level of quality.
- Clearly communicate product design ideas and solutions to cross-functional teams and senior leadership.
- 5+ years of experience in product design, with at least 1 year focused on consumer-facing, mobile-centric growth/virality experiences.
- An understanding of growth loops and the ability to collaborate in prioritization of the highest potential experiments to drive rapid growth.
- Deep understanding and experience running user-centered design processes and have proven experience leading all phases of the design process including IA, wireframing, prototyping, visual design, interaction design, and usability testing
- Deep experience using insights from research and data to drive and prioritize design decisions.
- You have excellent communication skills, especially when it comes to articulating design decisions and trade-offs.
- You are a DO-er. You get things done with others and across teams with a problem-solving mindset and avoiding unnecessary conflict.
- You are an expert in Figma, InVision, Notion, UserTesting, Lookback, Grain, and Webflow, with meaningful experience in A/B testing (e.g. Optimizely).
- You have experience working closely with product managers and engineers to deliver the highest quality user experience.
- You are a creative problem solver.
- You have excellent attention to detail.
- You have a keen ability to communicate around design concepts.
- You have a passion for design; not satisfied with the status quo and always thinking of ways to improve.
- You stay on-top of the latest and best tools and techniques, and constantly share your knowledge with your team.
- You enjoy working in small teams in a fast-paced startup environment.
- You are excited by the opportunity to grow into a leadership role as the company expands.
- Health Insurance coverage
- Stock Options plan
- Fitness subsidies
- Access to a nutritional coach to help you build a healthy lifestyle
- Compassionate, Caregiver, or Bereavement Leave: 3 – 5 days each time the need arises.
- Parental Leave: 12 weeks at full pay for primary caregiver and 4 weeks for secondary caregiver
- A generous amount of CookUnity credits to enjoy our amazing meals, added to your account, monthly
- Flexible schedule and remote work opportunities available within the calendar year
- Awesome opportunity to join a company that is looking to change how we eat and how chefs work!
If you’re interested in this role, please submit your application and if we think you might be a fit, we'll get in touch with you. Thank you for your time!