An engineering director-level role to drive technical and commercial engagements with one of our major semiconductor partners, such as Intel, Nvidia, ARM, AMD, Qualcomm, Mediatek or Hisilicon. Our alliances are engineering-centric, with direct relationships between engineering teams to integrate and optimise Ubuntu and open source applications for their silicon.
This unique role requires engineering management experience together with commercial awareness. This is not a sales or business development role, but does require judgement about commercial priority and sensitivity to the strategy of both parties.
The successful candidate will be a technical, detail-oriented and articulate engineering director, working directly with product managers, engineering managers and designers of both Canonical and the semiconductor partner. Your mission is to design and drive delivery of distinctive products and solutions that celebrate what we both do, well.
You will enjoy this role if:
- you are interested in the silicon industry, ecosystems and technology,
- you understand complex engineering projects and can work across teams,
- you are business oriented and commercially minded,
- you are familiar with open source and free software,
- you appreciate tasteful commercial products alongside community offerings.
The role entails:
- maintaining a joint roadmap covering all activities with a specific semiconductor partner
- leading the definition of each product or solution being delivered in the partnership
- engaging Canonical engineering teams to refine plans and ensure delivery
- understanding the overall market and competitors
- engaging with ecosystem partners
- acting as product champion and primary contact for product questions and press engagements
- shaping market messaging, collateral and launch plans
Required skills and experience:
- hands-on familiarity with Linux
- knowledge of the silicon industry, players, and strategies
- excellent communications skills, both verbal and written
- university degree in engineering, software, computer science, mathematics or other sciences
- the self-discipline and self-motivation to work effectively in a pure remote environment
- experience in engineering management
- customer-facing experience