This role is an opportunity for a technologist with a passion for Linux and project management to build a career with Canonical and drive the success with those leveraging Ubuntu and open source products. If you have an affinity for open source development and a passion for technology, then you will enjoy working with some of the best people in the industry at Canonical.
A high-profile project management role in the fast-paced and technically challenging pre-loading of Ubuntu on Tier-1 OEM devices. As a Project Manager for Canonical’s Devices business, this role is responsible for the coordination and completion of large complex customer facing projects, overseeing all aspects of project delivery and acting as the primary delivery liaison between Canonical's engineering teams and Canonical's customers. This is a high-profile project management position where customer relationship management and advocacy for Canonical's technical assets are strategically crucial. You will be responsible for working with all stakeholders in development of project statements of work (SoW). You will be required to create, manage, and maintain project specific schedules ensuring devices projects are delivered within the time/resources/scope expectations. You will be responsible for managing multiple projects simultaneously.
The Devices Project Manager is expected to build and maintain working relationships with team members, customers, other partners/vendors (Silicon vendors, ODMs, IHVs), and other Canonical departments/teams. Regular preparation of project reports for management regarding status of project will be required. Finally, the role is responsible for managing the project through its complete life-cycle and ensuring that the overall goals for both Canonical and the client are met. Periodic international travel is required. Travel amount and duration will vary based on company and project requirements.
As a Devices Project Manager you will:
- Successfully delivery of professional engineering services for assigned projects
- Assist in development of project statements of work
- Draft and maintain project specific schedules / project plans
- Obtain client agreement to the project schedule and agreed upon work items
- Ensure projects are delivered within the time/resources/scope expectations
- Manage project risk mitigation and plans
- Conduct weekly status meetings and quarterly business reviews with customers for assigned projects
- Maintain daily/weekly communication with the client and all relevant stakeholders
- Identify custom engineering requests that are not part of an existing business contracts
- Manage delivery schedule of critical third party deliverables for assigned projects
- Keep management informed of the status of assigned projects
- Effectively manage customer relationships for assigned projects
- Advocate to customers the appropriate technologies from Canonical's product portfolio
- Support different time zones and work non-traditional hours as required to support the assigned projects.
The successful Devices Project Manager will have:
- 5+ years of project management experience in a computer oriented / technical service field, ideally with Internet connected devices
- Degree level education, preferably in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math
- Strong knowledge of Linux and the wider Open Source Software community
- Extensive experience successfully managing projects with cross-cultural and multi-continent internal and external project resources, preferably with resources in Asia, Europe and the Americas
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written, in English and Mandarin Chinese
- Strong negotiation skills
- Strong communicator who is comfortable in a customer facing role managing complex enterprise technical projects
- Strong leader and problem solver with extensive experience building successful internal and external partnerships and effective working relationships with demanding project sponsors in complex organisational environments
- PMP/PMI, or PRINCE2 Practitioner Certification preferred
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally domestically and internationally
- Ability to work non-standard work hours in support of a worldwide sales and project team.
Canonical is a growing, international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu -- the world’s #1 cloud operating system. Our mission is to realize the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
- 100% Work-from-home
- Learning and Development
- Competitive Salary
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.