Work on mission-critical Golang code, focused on software delivery, containers, security sandboxing, telemetry and device management, as a software engineer on our SnapD team.
Snaps are next-generation software packaging and delivery for Linux. They are designed for safety, security and robustness, with application-specific confinement of containers optimised for IoT devices, desktops and servers. Our goal is that snaps work across multiple Linux flavors to ensure that publishers have the simplest way to reach the whole Linux world.
This role requires an obsession with quality and performance, for work at the heart of the operating system. It also requires an interest in the software publishing and consumption experience. Applicants should be passionate about open source software development. We value collaboration, peer reviews, good unit/integration testing and maintainable code. General knowledge and experience with Golang and Linux as a developer platform is required.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Write high quality code to create new features
- Debug issues and produce high quality code to fix them
- Review code produced by other engineers
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Obsess over how to achieve robustness despite unexpected events like power outages
- Work from home with global travel for up to two weeks, twice a year
Who you are
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills, are thoughtful and self-motivated
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You have professional software development experience using Go, Python, C, or C++
- You know Linux system-level fundamentals, e.g. cgroups, namespaces, apparmor
- Commitment to software testing, code reviews and maintainable code
Canonical is a growing, international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu. Our services help businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu. Canonical is a unique tech company - global, remote-first, open source, with 700 professionals across 50 countries - we want to be the world’s best, not biggest, global software company. With almost every team remote by default, Canonical sets the pace on the 21st-century digital workplace.
- Work from home
- Learning and development allowances
- Competitive Salary
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Generous annual leave
- Paid maternity, paternity and sick leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Exposure to international business and technology
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.