What is Canonical?
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, “the world’s best free software platform”. Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping individuals and businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
Canonical and Ubuntu are at the forefront of cloud and IoT computing, helping customers master the challenge of operations on hybrid cloud, bare metal, and container-based systems. Our Field Engineers are at the heart of this process, demonstrating, designing and delivering exciting solutions to a range of customers, from startups to Fortune 500s.
Canonical's Field Engineering division is unique in its approach with customers: we engage early on in the pre-sales process and remain engaged throughout the delivery phase. This approach creates exciting dynamics in which one is involved in various customer facing processes; going to sales events and providing engineering support to the sales team, designing solutions for customers and in the end implementing those solutions.
This requires unique skills, both technical and non-technical. TCP/IP networking, libvirt/KVM virtualization and core Linux operating system skills are a must-have in the course of discussing detailed architecture, designing complex solutions and guiding customers to successful infrastructure operations. Most of our team's solutions are based on OpenStack, Kubernetes, and Ubuntu; therefore the ideal candidate has interest and experience with one or more of these. If you have experience or are willing to learn about LXD, Snaps, MAAS, Juju and Ubuntu, this team is the best starting point.
As a Field Software Engineer you will:
- Engage early on in the pre-sales process and remain engaged throughout the delivery phase
- Discuss detailed architecture, designing complex solutions and guiding customers to successful infrastructure operations
- Use your knowledge of TCP/IP networking, libvirt/KVM virtualization and core Linux operating system skills to build customized solutions for our customers
The successful Field Software Engineer will have :
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- 1-3 years of Linux development experience
- Must be able to speak English fluently
- Strong background contributing code in Python and Go to open source projects in the cloud or devices area
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- High motivation, ability to multi-task and follow-up reliably on commitments
- Interest in customer-facing engagement, including pitching, demonstrating and understanding customer environment and needs
- Experience working with at least one or more of these technologies OpenStack, Kubernetes, and/or Ubuntu
- Experience with or willingness to learn new technologies, including LXD, Snaps, MAAS, Juju and Ubuntu
- Ability to travel globally for periods up to two weeks; up to 50% of travel time (pending on covid-19 restrictions)
Nice to have:
- Second language - Spanish, French, German or Italian
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and Development
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.