We are hiring a new position to lead an effort in our Taipei office to translate operational knowledge from our managed service organization into code. The software your teams will contribute to is all open source and varies from packages in Ubuntu itself to compute infrastructure layers up to applications.
As the Engineering Team Leader for the DevOps Centre in Taipei, your primary responsibility is to the people you lead and support: ensuring that they are growing as engineers, doing valuable work, and generally having a great time at Canonical. As a lead for software engineers, technical leadership and a solid background in software development is a must, so that you’re able to challenge and grow your team members. You will have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on direction and execution.
This team is still in the process of growing, so effective hiring strategies with internal and external recruiters, having an eye for recognizing talent, even establishing relationships with local colleges will be essential to your success in the position.
What you’ll do
- Build and lead a team of engineers based out of our Taipei office through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- Demonstrate sound engineering principles by directly contributing toward your team’s goals
- Support timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs
- Effectively set and manage expectations with other engineering and operational teams, management, and external stakeholders or customers
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Work from our Taipei office with global travel up to 10% for internal and external events
Who you are
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related engineering field
- Advanced level Python programming skills
- You love developing and growing people and can demonstrate a track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You have experience in leading, coaching and mentoring software developers towards delivering timely, high quality software together with them
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment
- You have a thorough understanding of the architectures used in modern Service Provider environments, including OpenStack and Kubernetes
- You have a demonstrated drive for continual learning and the desire to understand operations as well as development
- You have sound knowledge of cloud computing concepts & technologies and practical knowledge of Linux and networking
- You have been involved in efforts to i) standardise, ii) develop iii) deploy, or iv) evolve enterprise class software
- You have hands-on experience with automation frameworks/tool-sets
- You are fluent and comfortable in Service Provider terminology
What you will learn
- OpenStack and Kubernetes in operation
- Work directly with customers in a range of different businesses
- Real-life and hands-on exposure to a wide range of emerging technologies and tools
Canonical is a growing, international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu -- the world’s #1 cloud operating system. Our mission is to realize the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
- Learning and Development
- Competitive Salary
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.