Engineering Manager - OSM
As the engineering manager for the Charmed Open Source Mano (OSM) engineering team at Canonical your primary responsibility is to the people you support: ensuring that they are growing as engineers, doing valuable work, and generally having a great time at Canonical. As a lead for strong engineers, technical leadership and a solid background in software development is a must, so that you’re able to challenge and grow your team members. You will have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
What you’ll do
- You will build and lead a globally distributed team of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- You will demonstrate sound engineering principles by directly contributing toward your team’s goals
- Support timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs
- Effectively set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Work from home with global travel up to 30% for internal and external events
Who you are
- You love developing and growing people and have a track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You have experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring software developers towards delivering timely, high quality software together with them
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment
- You have experience working with Service Providers during their virtualisation evolution, understand and can articulate the main drivers for Service Provider to move to Virtualisation and Orchestration
- You have a thorough understanding of the architectures used in modern Service Provider NFVi environments, including OpenStack and Kubernetes
- You have a good understanding of the current state of VNF Workload orchestration, and can articulate the state of play in the VNFM and NFVO ecosystem
- You understand the influence of Service Provider standardisation efforts on the workload orchestration space.
- You have been involved in efforts to i) standardise, ii) develop iii) deploy, or iv) evolve the Workload and Network Service orchestration efforts in the Telco/Service Provider space.
- You have hands-on experience with automation frameworks/tool-sets in the context of complex workload placement and automation for Service Provider use-cases classed as cVNFs.
- You are fluent and comfortable in Service Provider terminology
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.