Canonical Group Limited is an exciting and dynamic company. We are looking for a lawyer to join our legal team. The successful candidate will work closely with experienced legal counsel in both the UK and USA and with Canonical personnel and external counsel on a global basis.
Job Title: Legal Counsel
Job Class: Permanent
Job Location: U.S.A. (US Mountain Time or Pacific Time)
Reports to: Director of Legal
Canonical Group Limited is looking for an experienced and enthusiastic lawyer to join its legal team. The lawyer will work with legal counsel both in the UK and USA to carry out a number of activities, including reviewing and negotiating legal agreements.
This is an excellent opportunity for the successful candidate to have exposure to a variety of commercial contracts, customers and jurisdictions, working in an exciting and dynamic technology company. The ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate good commercial acumen as well as being organised and efficient and providing high quality legal and commercial advice and assistance.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial contract documentation, including complex master services agreements with customers all over the world.
- Having a broad understanding of legal issues relating to commercial contracts, property and employment matters.
- Coordinating and communicating with legal counsel, senior management, operating managers, and key functional groups, and interfacing with the Ubuntu Community, as appropriate.
- Carrying out legal research and independent working. The ability to manage your own workload and to assist legal colleagues.
- Being hands on and willing to support the legal group in process development and presentations etc.
Required skills and experience
The lawyer is expected to have:
- JD and active license to practice law
- 5+ years of in-house or practical private practice experience.
- Technical experience preferred, including experience of open source software.
- Experience in some or all of the following areas of law: corporate, commercial, intellectual property.
- Previous experience of working in an in-house office environment, whether permanently or on secondment basis is preferable, albeit not required.
- Able to work in a fast-paced, multi-cultural environment operating in the open source software arena, with worldwide engagement and under tight deadlines and still contribute thoughtful and high-quality output.
- Strong organisational and prioritisation skills, including the ability to coordinate projects. Able to take end-to-end responsibility.
- Good computer skills.
- Must be both an independent worker and a strong team player, very flexible, enthusiastic, friendly and approachable.
- Good written and spoken communication skills.
- Intellectually curious and confident. Comfortable with own areas of expertise and happy to learn more and be stretched.
- Ideally would have a strong understanding of, belief in and commitment to free and open source software, free culture movements, and associated philosophies.