Who we are
It is our mission to make open source software available to people everywhere. We create world-renowned software, impacting the lives of millions of people every day. We work in multi-disciplinary teams, helping and learning from each other and constantly striving to improve both our work and our processes.
You will be working closely with visual designers, UX designers and other developers to bring exciting new web projects to life and to improve our existing products.
Who you are
We want someone who loves what they do. You are passionate about web standards and actively keep abreast of new developments in our industry. You’re always looking for opportunities to improve your skills. You like to show off what you’re working on and also learn from others. You have strong attention to detail and value the design of a product as much as you value the code. You have strong communication skills and maybe even blog once in a while. You’re aware of the latest CSS techniques but also know the limitations that developing for a broad audience can bring - actually, you embrace the challenge.
- You’ll help maintain existing projects including updating content and adding new pages
- You’ll manage incoming requests for updates and liaise with or delegate to other people as necessary.
- You’ll ensure the standard of our output remains high and consistent across our whole product portfolio.
- You’ll ensure new pages are published according to specification and in compliance with our web style guide.
- You’ll participate in and contribute to our living style guide, Vanilla Framework.
Work closely with UX designers, project managers and back-end engineers to implement exemplary user experiences.
Skills we need you to have
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Two years of professional experience in the industry
- Demonstrable experience of working on modern web applications
- Experience in building responsive user interfaces for a wide range of devices and browsers
- Experience using Git or other version control system
- Awareness of SEO best practice
- Consideration of accessibility in all aspects of your work
- Understanding of web performance when building complex user interfaces
- Ability to interact with UX, designers and server-side developers
- A curiosity about technology and a thirst to learn
Skills we’d like you to have
- Experience working with Linux desktop technologies
- Experience working with server-side languages, such as PHP or Python
- Experience working on a large scale React project
- A history of open source contributions
What we offer
- An opportunity to help shape a company and products with a strong influence in the open source community
- An inclusive work environment within a team of friendly people with a broad range of skill sets, from UX designers to copywriters
- An industry weighted, competitive salary
- $2000 per year personal development budget
- Employee recognition awards
- Annual compensation review
- UK Healthcare Benefit
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Employee Assistance Program
- Contributory pension
- 25 days annual leave (plus statutory)
- Additional day of annual leave per year served
- Opportunity for international travel
- Flexible working
- Your application will be reviewed by our team
- You will be set some pre-interview questions and a small coding test
- Face-to-face interview
Canonical is an equal opportunities employer. This position is not suitable for remote applicants. No recruiters, please.