Canonical is hiring a front-end web developer to join the Web Team, based in our London Office.
You will be working closely with visual designers, UX designers and other developers to bring exciting new web projects to life and to improve existing ones.
We are looking for someone that loves what they do. You breathe web standards and enjoy keeping up-to-date with the latest developments. You're always looking to improve your skills. You like to show what you're working on and also learn from others. You have strong attention to detail and value design as much as you value code. You have strong communication skills and maybe even blog once in awhile. You are aware of the latest CSS techniques but also know the limitations that developing for a large audience can bring - actually, you love the challenge.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Website maintenance including updating content and adding new pages
- Manage incoming requests for updates and liaise with or delegate to other parties as necessary
- Quality assurance and testing; ensure new pages are published according to specification and in compliance with web style guide
- Participate in and contribute to the creation of web style guide and framework
- Work closely with UX designers, project managers and back-end engineers to implement awesome user experience
Required Skills and Experience
- Conceive and develop modern web applications
- Ability to develop cross-platform and cross-browser websites
- Experience working on modern web applications and PWAs
- Awareness of SEO best practice
- Ability to interact with UX, designers and server-side developers
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Experience working with Linux desktop technologies
- Experience working with server-side languages, such as PHP and Python
- Experience with version control and Agile development
What we offer
- Opportunity to help shape a company and a product with strong influence in the Open Source community
- A fantastic work environment within a team of friendly people with a broad range of skill sets, from UX designers to copywriters
- Opportunity to create work that will potentially be seen by millions of people