A Lab QA Engineer is needed to join Canonical’s Server Enablement team who works closely with server and silicon vendors to integrate support for their server-class silicon into the Ubuntu Server distribution. This position requires you to be onsite several days a week.
The successful Lab QA Engineer will be responsible for the local lab infrastructure as well as making a significant contribution to the team’s automated test development and QA.
The lab, situated in central Boston, MA, houses development and product-grade servers. The successful Lab QA Engineer will be responsible for managing the latest server hardware, component installation and network and switch configuration, as well as collaborating with Canonical’s silicon partners to create test plans, and develop and run automated testing. The testing work will focus on hardware enablement, server workload validation, regression testing and benchmarking.
As a member of the Server enablement team and the broader Data Centre Development engineering department, you will be responsible for collaborating with a very active distributed development team on all the tasks involved in the development and release process.
Lab QA Engineer key responsibilities
- Maintain the local lab infrastructure, including networking, power, and other incidental lab hardware
- Receive, rack, cable and manage production and development-grade server hardware running in the Boston, MA labs
- Configure the lab to ensure team members working remotely can test, develop and debug
- Write high-quality code to test, exercise and validate hardware enablement and server workloads
- Develop automated test cases, and deliver test reports to customers
- Create and present test plans to customers
- Collaborate proactively with distributed teams
- Deploy, test, and debug highly distributed systems
- Review code produced by other developers
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
Required skills and experience for the Lab QA Engineer:
- Degree level education, preferably in a technology field
- Located or willing to relocate/commute to the greater Boston, MA, area to work frequently in Canonical offices located in central Boston
- This position requires you to be onsite several days a week.
- Hands on server hardware experience, such as swapping RAM, CPUs, NICs, etc
- Systems administration knowledge, including managing network services, top-of-rack switch configuration and remote PDU set-up
- Strong communication and cooperation skills
- Experience with test automation including system level automation and job runners
- Python programming and shell scripting experience
- Knowledge of networking technologies and fundamentals
- Experience with remote server control. e.g. IPMI
- Experience with continuous integration strategies and tools e.g. Jenkins CI
- Experience with revision control systems such as Git
- Understanding of how to work on a distributed team
- Self-motivated and able to work with limited supervision
- Domestic and International travel 2-4 times a year for a week at a time
- Proficient with Ubuntu Server system administration
- Experience with Debian packaging a plus
- Involvement in open source projects a plus
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and Development
- Annual Compensation Review
- Company bonus
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option
Reports to: Commercial Server Engineering Director #fmg1
Job Location: The role needs to be on-site at our downtown Boston Tremont Street office 2-3 days a week, so candidates would need to be within a commutable distance to central Boston.