Product Manager, Ubuntu - Home Based - EMEA or United States
Must be able to travel globally up to 50%
What is Canonical?
Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, “the world’s best free software platform” with over 20 million users globally. Ubuntu Is the most widely deployed OS in the cloud space. Our mission is to realize the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organizations. Our services are helping individuals and businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
The Product Manager, Ubuntu, will gather requirements for updating the Ubuntu OS. This is a hands-on role, where are responsible for the future of Ubuntu. This includes developing a strategy for Ubuntu as a product for customer profiles ranging from Developers to SREs who look to Ubuntu as a stable, core part of their DevOps strategy. Adding value on top of the free aspect of Ubuntu, solving problems for systems management, containerization and hypervisor use cases, the Product Manager, Ubuntu will be responsible for the planning, prioritization and implementation of a product roadmap encompassing Ubuntu Linux and all of its derivatives such as minimal image, kernel livepatch service, extended security maintenance and support offerings.
The ideal candidate will be sharp, focused, self-driven, motivated, bring entrepreneurial thinking to the table and engage in ambitious projects to drive Ubuntu revenue and market penetration against our competitors. Ideally, he or she will have engineering management experience in a startup setting and bring that background to this position. Ownership of the product-related content is a must, and the ideal candidate will be the visible product champion for Ubuntu, internally and externally.
As a Product Manager, Ubuntu you will:
- Maintaining the centralized product requirements document for each product
- Acting as the primary contact for all product related questions and press engagements
- Coordinating with the communications team to determine market messaging, collateral and launch plans
- Engaging with commercial partners that enhance the product both at the point of sale and after-market
- Understanding the overall market and competitors
- Researching new product areas
- Acting as a product champion externally and internally
The successful Product Manager, Ubuntu will have:
- 5+ years experience in product or (Linux) engineering management in a technology company
- B.S./M.S. degree or equivalent experience in an applicable field, preferably Computer Science, Engineering or Information Technology
- End-to-end software product management experience
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to productively work with a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self-motivation, delivering according to a schedule
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies
- MBA is a plus
- Startup experience is a plus
What Canonical Offers:
- Learning and Development
- Annual Compensation Review
- Recognition Rewards
- Annual Leave
- Priority Pass for travel
- Flexible working option