It's an exciting time to join Box! As an established leader in the Cloud Content Management, Box is already helping hundreds of thousands of business across the world modernize the way they work. The company is now rapidly adding capabilities that build security, business workflows and intelligence around content, thereby truly transforming how people collaborate and get their work done. Engineering managers at Box play a crucial role in its mission by nurturing teams that build products with enterprise grade quality.
Team & Role
The Desktop Applications group at Box is responsible for bringing the power of Box platform to where people create and edit their content - on users' Windows and Mac desktops. This group owns multiple, highly engaging products, such as Box Drive, Box Tools, Box for Office and Box Sync, that millions of people use to get their work done on a day-to-day basis. These engineering teams are solving several hard problems related to scale, performance, security and usability of content in complex, modern-day desktop environments within enterprises.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead a distributed team of engineers within the Desktop Applications group. This is a hands-on technical leadership role with an equal focus on nurturing and developing engineers as well as driving projects to successful, on-time delivery.
As a manager on the Desktop team, you will...
- Build and lead a distributed engineering team and drive an excellent customer experience, continually raising the bar on functionality, usability, and simplicity
- Ship desktop applications used by hundreds of thousands of businesses and millions of users to get their work done on a daily basis
- Lead planning, execution and success of multiple projects working closely with other desktop application teams and other departments, including product. design, QA and user services
- Ensure high standards in architecture discussions, code reviews and provide technical leadership to your team members
- Manage the relationship with a mix of contracting as well as full time engineers, helping recruit new engineers to the team and acting as a liaison among the distributed team members
- Mentor your team members, helping them grow both technically and professionally
- Learn from and contribute to the broader applications leadership team, which includes Web and Mobile engineering managers and architects, on various management initiatives
Who you are
- Several years experience managing distributed engineering teams, including hiring, coaching and mentoring and performance reviews.
- Experience managing both contracting and full-time engineers
- Ability to work with small, high velocity agile teams, in close collaboration with product, design, QA, user services
- Passion for engineering excellence, quality, simplicity and continuous improvement
- Strong empathy for customers - a desire to understand their use cases, and solve their pain points
- Effective communication skills that help foster an inclusive and collaborative culture across broader product development team
Nice to haves
- Strong desktop application development experience, either Windows (C++ / C# + .NET or similar) or Mac (Obj-C / Swift), preferably both
- Academic background in computer science or a related field