At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar North is on the lookout for a talented and self-reliant front-end developer, with a passion for hands on development. This is a full-time, permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in the heart of Edinburgh.
WHAT WE DO
- We create and maintain software tools that are used by all game development disciplines to support the creation of our award-winning games.
- The tools we build range from workflow/task management software, defect trackers with games console integration, distributed video recording systems, and reporting and analytics applications.
- We own our own code and take pride in knowing that our final products are used twenty-four hours a day, by thousands of Rockstar staff across the globe, to help create our games.
- Design and build browser-based UIs to help us meet the challenges of fast-moving game development.
- Integrate front-end applications with backend REST services.
- Integrate front-end applications into a range of third-party platforms and tools as required.
- Develop a strong understanding of the systems we use and learn the latest web UI technologies to help advance our applications.
- Help define architecture, design patterns and frameworks to improve how we build future UIs and features.
- Contribute towards the team’s UI design and coding best practices.
- Collaborate with other Rockstar technology teams across our worldwide studios.
- Organize yourself and deliver high-quality work to deadlines.
- A degree in computer science, or equivalent.
- 5+ years professional experience of front-end development for single-page web applications.
- 2+ years professional experience with React.js, including the latest versions and features.
- Strong understanding of web markup including HTML5 / CSS3.
- Experience working with RESTful web service APIs, XML and JSON.
- Experience using front-end build pipelines and tools, such as NPM, Webpack and Babel.
- Ability to write clear, well-structured, easily maintainable code.
- Awareness of performance and scalability issues, and an ability to optimise for large data sets.
- Strong UI design skills.
- Ability to create usable UIs, and efficient workflows for users.
- Strong communication skills, and the ability to work within a team.
- Ability to work within a schedule and deliver effectively to deadlines.
- Experience using Agile software development methodology.
- Exposure to version control and CI/CD systems.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Experience with TypeScript.
- Experience using Redux with React, for complex application state management.
- Experience with CSS pre-processors, such as Less or Sass.
- Experience with front-end testing tools, such as Jest or Mocha.
- Experience with Node.js.
- .Net, C# and WPF experience, for desktop UI development.
- Java / Spring / Hibernate / MySQL experience, for understanding of our server-side systems.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a CV and cover-letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you have the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.