Hi there! Thanks for stopping by 👋
Are you actively looking for a new opportunity? Or just checking the market? Well… you might just be in the right place!
We are looking for a new Staff Software Developer to join our high-performing software development team and cultivate an inclusive environment that inspires the team to do their best work. You will collaborate with the team on the critical mission of supporting and enhancing one of our point-of-sale products cloud architectures.
If you’re a technical leader with a solid hands-on background, have a proven track record of supporting, and mentoring, along with a reputation for delivering great software then you might be a perfect fit. If you enjoy problem-solving mixed with pragmatism and collaboration to develop products that solve real-world problems for customers around the globe, then you’re what we’re looking for. Your hands-on attitude and your ability to explore new territories will help you lay out the best plan for the team to succeed on their mission.
The smooth communication and collaboration with fellow Product, Development and SRE team members around the globe will be an integral to the success of the team. If you are inspired by interesting technical challenges, working on solutions that impact tens of thousands of customers on a daily basis, and strive for excellence within our international team, then we would love to hear from you.
What you’ll be responsible for
- Creating, extending, and maintaining critical systems across a number of products in collaboration with the existing team
- Developing clean and highly maintainable code
- Engaging with our Product Managers, Architects, Developers, and other stakeholders to define unambiguous, pragmatic solutions
- Engaging during incidents with a sense of responsibility to our customers and your team
What you’ll be bringing to the team
- 5+ years experience developing and shipping production-grade Ruby systems
- 5+ years experience developing within AWS or similar Cloud environments
- Solid understanding of computer systems and service architectures
- Empathy to view situations from our customers perspectives
- Strong desire to collaborate with other developers, be that pairing, code reviews, whiteboard sessions, etc
- A strong sense of ownership of all aspects throughout the SDLC and beyond
- Ability to analyze production environments, incidents and performance characteristics to drive remediation, both with your team and with collaboration of stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience creating unit and integration tests for complex systems
- Eagerness to improve existing systems and plan new ones, pragmatically
Even better if you have, but not necessary
- Experience with eventual consistency and distributed client models
- Experience in microservice architectures
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Experience with container technologies (Kubernetes, Docker, etc)
- Experience with real time messaging systems (Pub/Sub, Kafka, etc)
- Experience with both relational (SQL) and non-relational (NoSQL) datastores (Dynamo, Redis, Firestore)
- A keen interest in API design
- Computer Sciences degree or equivalent
Who you are
- You are a team-player who likes to contribute to discussions and share your own experiences knowing that teams create the best solutions, not lone individuals
- You are self-motivated with the ability to function effectively in a team environment with minimum supervision
- You are always seeking improvement and progress
- You are eager to make decisions and not afraid of making mistakes or asking for help and input from others
We know that people are more than what’s on their CV. If you’re unsure that you have the right profile for the role... hit the ‘Apply’ button and let’s have a chat!
What’s in it for you?
Come live the Lightspeed experience...
- Lots of autonomy, flexible work culture and the option of fully remote work
- Genuine career opportunities in a company that’s creating new jobs everyday
- Opportunity to make a difference; help merchants grow their businesses and become more successful by creating or improving products and addressing customer feedback
- Work in a team big enough for growth but lean enough to make a real impact
- Development of very high traffic products, used at the global scale
- Opportunities to learn and expand your skill set
- Become a valued part of the diverse and inclusive Lightspeed family
… and enjoy a range of benefits that’ll keep you happy, healthy and (not) hungry:
- Lightspeed equity scheme (we are all owners)
- Flexible paid time off policy
- Health Insurance
- Health and wellness benefit of $500 per year
To all recruitment agencies: Lightspeed does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. If we have not directly engaged your company in writing to supply candidates for a specific vacancy, Lightspeed will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Where to from here?
Obviously, this has to be mutually beneficial: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to every day. For a glimpse into our world check out our career page here.
Lightspeed is building communities through commerce, and we need people from all backgrounds and lived experiences to do that. We were founded in 2005, in Montreal’s gay village and our original members were all part of the LGBTQ+ community. The ethos of our business has been about inclusion from the very beginning, and we strive to provide a workplace where everyone belongs.
Who we are:
Powering the businesses that are the backbone of the global economy, Lightspeed's one-stop commerce platform helps merchants innovate to simplify, scale, and provide exceptional customer experiences. Our cloud commerce solution transforms and unifies online and physical operations, multichannel sales, expansion to new locations, global payments, financial solutions, and connection to supplier networks.