LA28 is a non-profit public benefit corporation. The specific purpose of the organization is to improve and enhance the quality of life of the residents of the City of Los Angeles, California, and the surrounding metropolitan area through the hosting of the Olympic and Paralympic Games in Los Angeles. Its core activities include: (1) planning, organization, financing, promotion, sponsorship, hosting and staging the Games, (2) raising funds to be used to plan, organize, finance, promote, sponsor, host or stage the Games, and (3) creating and implementing sustainability and legacy programs for the Games.
Values and Behaviors:
Integrity – We communicate openly and honestly, listen to each other, and treat everyone with respect. We do what we say and are accountable for everything we do. We do the right thing, always. Even when it isn’t easy.
Optimism – We embody a positive, enthusiastic, and solution-oriented attitude in everything we do. Inspire and support one another to achieve our best. We have our eyes on the future and believe we can make a meaningful impact.
Excellence – We hold ourselves to the highest standard and expectations. We tackle goals rigorously and persevere through challenges. We have the mastery to adapt and pivot with changing needs.
Inclusion – We believe in the power of our differences and the value of multiple perspectives. Representation is just the first step. We seek to include and empower. Our work reflects the communities we serve and the world in which we live.
Co-Creation – We are authors of a shared story. We embrace collaboration within and across teams. Everyone has a voice and is expected to contribute constructively to our shared mission. We share pride in our accomplishments and ownership of our shortcomings.
Boldness - We embrace creativity and outside-the-box thinking. We are unafraid to take risks, explore unconventional solutions, and learn from the process. We are innovators, disruptors, and challengers of the status quo.
Vice President of Non-Games Programming Job Description:
The Vice President of Non-Games Programming will be responsible for developing the strategic framework, programs, initiatives, and partnerships, beyond the sport competition, to engage spectators, sponsors, and the community, leading up to and during the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2028. Key functional areas to build and grow will include (but not limited to): Ceremonies, Torch Relay, Live Sites, Music & Entertainment, Cultural Olympiad, Paralympic/Adaptive Sport activities, and other opportunities tbd. This programming will be a physical and digital manifestation of the LA28 brand, and will be achieved through a combination of developing the strategies, ideating program opportunities, collaborating with Marketing and Commercial functions to drive business opportunities and partnerships, and identifying and managing delivery partners. The successful candidate should have expertise in creating fan engagement programs/properties in the sports and entertainment space, event management, leading large cross-functional teams, and negotiating partnerships. Additionally, this role will be expected to build relationships, support, and collaborate with many other functions across the organization.
- Develop the Non-Games Programming strategy (framework and approach), beyond the sport competition, across numerous required and newly developed programs that will engage spectators, sponsors, and the community leading up to and during the 2028 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- Create detailed business plan(s) for each program / initiative, including operational frameworks, staffing, resourcing, partnerships, funding opportunities, and engagement measurements for success
- Identify key partners to consider for initiative delivery, and negotiate agreements with for implementation closer to the Games
Cross-Functional Integration and Support
- Collaborate with all Commercial functions (sponsorship, consumer products, ticketing, hospitality, philanthropy, food & beverage, etc.) to ideate, co-create, drive business opportunities and partnerships surrounding the Non-Games Programs
- Work with Technical Operations and Games Delivery teams to develop Non-Games Programs that complement the delivery of the Games, take into account any key requirements, and drive significant spectator and stakeholder engagement outside of the Games competition
- Team with Community Engagement group ensure initiatives are aligned to on-going Community strategy, and effectively integrated within the Los Angeles community leading up to and during the Games
- Partner with brand strategy, marketing, engagement, and communications to ideate and design physical and digital promotional and engagement plans to drive awareness, participation, and business
- Work closely with key stakeholders outside of LA28 as relevant (i.e. IOC/IPC, USOPC, Games Delivery Partners, etc.) to plan and deliver key initiatives
- Build and develop high-performing teams and key functional areas to deliver the Non-Games Program strategy at scale
- Lead operational planning and preparation internally with functional Leads and together with partners
- Integrate with Strategy and Finance teams to frame key initiatives and financial implications of the annual and long-term plans in context of the overall lifetime Games budget
- Set and refine key delivery milestones as a core component of the IOC/IPC master calendar
- Implement initiatives with high degree of excellence and performance against stated goals
- Develop strong, respectful relationships and build credibility with key internal and external stakeholders
- Prepare presentations for executive staff and key stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 15 years within the Sports and Entertainment industry
- Strong understanding of program and property creation, consumer engagement strategies (physical and digital), and event operations at scale
- Experience in developing and implementing unique programs, events, and partnerships to engage fans outside of sport competition, leading up to and during big events
- Demonstrated impact in co-creating integrated business opportunities across functions within an organization, with measurable results
- Well-developed problem-solving skills and ability to work independently to resolve issues
- Strong cross-functional collaboration, communication, team building, and interpersonal skills
- Extremely detail-oriented with excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to derive insights from data / analytics / research
- Ability to recruit, grow, and develop talent
- Effectively manage the journey from a “start-up” mentality to a large organization over time
- Ability to work effectively in a close team environment, providing project management for various projects and initiatives
- Proven ability to build good interpersonal relationships with people across an organization, while balancing assertiveness with diplomacy
- A collaborative mindset; someone who prioritizes the team and fosters a culture of high performance without ego
- Ability to implement and manage change effectively
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described in this section are representative of those demands that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Accommodations, as required by ADA, will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Job requires approximately 80% sitting/standing, and 20% walking/traveling.
- Significant amount of time spent at a PC using keyboard and monitor in an office environment with moveable/standing desks (i.e., can sit or stand at desk).
- Infrequent travel (local and abroad) will be required for on-site meetings with key stakeholders and partners throughout the Los Angeles Metropolitan area, and globally
- Candidates should expect a standard 5 day week working out of the LA28 offices located in the Westwood neighborhood of Los Angeles once we return to an office environment from the current work-from-home policy
An application must be accompanied by the following:
- Resume / CV
- Letter describing impact in previous roles and aspirations for desired role
- Three (3) references / contact information
LA28 is committed to operating fair and unbiased recruitment procedures allowing all applicants an equal opportunity for employment, free from discrimination on the basis of religion, race, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, color, ethnic or national origin, or any other classification as may be protected by applicable law. We aim to recruit the right people for the jobs we have to offer, and to assess applications on the basis of relevant skills, education, and experience.