The FT has an uncompromising mission: delivering independent, quality information, news and services to individuals and companies around the globe. It’s the cornerstone of our reputation and the heart of our ambitions for the future. But for our people, the FT offers so much more than what we do. FT people come from all kinds of backgrounds and work across a huge range of disciplines and locations, and find an empowering, warm and welcoming culture that values curiosity and rewards smart, ambitious thinking. Those who are willing to unite around our mission and live our values will find plenty to challenge, inspire and interest them. Like the audiences we serve, no two FT people are the same; but together we help our audience be better informed and understand the world around them. It’s a job that’s never mattered more, and a career that can take you anywhere you want to go.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
The Role / Position Overview
The Head of Pricing & Proposition leads the pricing, promotion and proposition strategy for the FT’s print and digital consumer subscriptions, ensuring price and product are aligned with customer needs to achieve maximum revenue from our audiences.
The role plays a pivotal role as the ‘go to’ authority at the FT for B2C price and proposition optimisation, leading the company from a tactical test and learn to intelligent price management that utilises robust insight on customer behaviour and willingness to pay to ensure the right propositions are available at the right time to the right customer to maximise subscriber Lifetime Value (LTV)
The role leads three strategy managers, as a team working closely with Product Marketing and Customer Relationships teams to implement strategies across customer touchpoints, whilst also working alongside other key stakeholders such as Research, Product, Commercial Finance and BI in cross functional teams.
The role is responsible for overseeing the execution of onsite price and offer testing, market research, and advanced analytics to inform and shape direction of long-term consumer subs strategy.
The role contributes to the wider subscription strategy, using knowledge of best practice and insight around new product pricing, developing new propositions, enhancing product value and other revenue levers such as billing intervals, trial lengths, step-up prices and package structure.
- Ensure P&P performance is effectively captured and tracked through leading the development of data mining and analysis in the creation of dynamic pricing models that will maximise LTV across all transaction touch-points
- Establish agreed standards in the way in which we measure the effectiveness of pricing tests with colleagues around the business
- Ensure that the way the FT prices its content sales is fair/transparent and compliant and in line with core FT values and in particular ‘Integrity’ and ‘Trust’
- Lead the FT in a journey to become a beacon of best practice for pricing, promotion and proposition strategy within, and beyond, the media industry
- Identify gaps in internal knowledge and develop plans to ensure the P&P team have access to relevant data and insight to enable best in class price and proposition review and management
- Communicate findings to management to influence business decisions and driving through business change and strategy
- Work closely with Head of Audience Insights to ensure willingness to pay data and insight is aligned with internal customer segmentations
- Work closely with Product colleagues to guide monetisation strategies of new product and feature development.
Required Skills / Experience
- Proven experience in driving and leading the implementation of pricing, promotion and proposition strategies
- Excellent strategic thinking skills, ability to breakdown complex issues and translate them into actions resulting in commercial growth
- Strong skills in motivating a high performance team, with experience in leading teams to develop commercial strategies and work collaboratively
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills and ability to provide guidance and input at all levels of an organisation
- Comfort with ambiguity and operating in a ‘test and learn’ culture, with a very high level autonomy and accountability
- Experience of market research and knowledge of specific methodologies to effectively capture willingness to pay, segment audiences and inform proposition development
- Highly numerate/analytically minded, with strong ability to interpret and manipulate data into meaningful business conclusions and actions
- Excellent ability to work collaboratively in cross departmental/functional teams
- Experience of a subscription related business is desirable but not essential
- Experience in B2C business is desirable but not essential.
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT is committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We have implemented a hybrid working model and we also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our team will be happy to help.