Do you want to join one of the fastest-growing molecular diagnostics startups and develop products that can affect the lives of millions?
BillionToOne (Y Combinator S17), ranked at the top 5% of Y Combinator companies with $100M+ in funding from prominent VC firms, has developed a DNA molecular counter that increases the cell-free DNA diagnostics resolution by over 1,000 fold. BillionToOne's first product, UNITY™ is the first and only prenatal screen that directly assesses the baby's risk for common and severe inherited disorders such as cystic fibrosis, spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), and hemoglobinopathies from a single tube of blood from the pregnant mother.
We are looking for a Sr. Automation Engineer to join our growing Process Engineering team responsible for innovative solutions to support the high-complexity and high-growth clinical laboratory. This is a high-growth role & will lead and manage projects to design and implement automation systems, as we scale our laboratory by 10x in the next 24 months. This is a dynamic, start-up environment that requires adaptability and the ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts.
- End-to-end development, design, integration, and validation of automation systems and protocols on liquid handling platforms (Hamilton, Beckman Biomek, Agilent Bravo etc.) in the clinical laboratory
- Identify, develop, and implement process improvements to design and improve robust laboratory procedures
- Collaborate with the clinical and R&D teams to transfer new products and procedures onto the automated platforms
- Provide training and guidance to employees in the operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of new equipment
- Develop and prepare documentation for procedure changes, instrument validations, IQ/OQ/PQ, standard operating procedures, and related documents
- BS or higher in Engineering, Biology, Microbiology, Biophysics, Biochemistry, or related field
- 3 to 6 years of experience in assay automation on liquid handlers (i.e. Hamilton, Beckman, Agilent, Tecan)
- Technical proficiency and proven success in laboratory automation and systems development
- Strong multi-tasking, project management, organizational, communication, and documentation skills
- Software development experience in one or more languages (e.g., Python)
- Strong laboratory understanding with experience in next-generation sequencing library preparation
- Certification in one of the major liquid handling systems (Hamilton, Beckman, Agilent, Tecan)
- Experience working under regulatory environments such as CLIA, CAP, or FDA
- Start-up experience
Benefits and Perks
- Competitive pay
- Generous equity package
- Suite of benefit plans; employee premiums paid 90% of Gold PPO plan
- Extremely generous Medical, Pregnancy, Parental and Family Leaves
- Retirement savings program with 4% Company matching
- Free daily on-site lunches provided from top eateries
- Latest and greatest hardware (laptop, lab equipment, facilities)
- A variety of perks on campus (state of the art gym, restaurant)
- Free on-site EV charging (compatible with all EVs, including Tesla)
- Working with a team of ‘rockstars’ who bring out the best in everyone
- The ability to indirectly or directly change the lives of hundreds of thousand patients
- Open, transparent culture that includes weekly Town Hall meetings
BillionToOne is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.