We are looking for an experienced, solution-oriented Head of Backend Engineering to lead our team in Berlin. In this role, you will lead a dynamic team of Engineers spread across several cross-functional teams who share a passion for technology and for providing the best experience possible to our members. You will have the opportunity to make a real impact on key areas of our product, improve the experience of our rapidly growing member-base across Europe, and ensure the growth and development of the backend engineering team is supportive of our company mission to inspire others to live healthy and active lives.
- From day one, you will lead a team of 13 engineers and partner with our recruitment team to continue building it
- Promote our tech brand by representing USC at key Engineering meetups, conferences, and events
- Partner with Tech Recruiters to interview and hire strong backend engineers whose interest in tech topics is matched by their passion for improving our members’ experience
- Oversee and lead the activities of the backend engineers
- Coach, mentor, train, and develop the team
- Design and code innovative solutions to meet defined business requirements
- Collaborate with colleagues in Product, Design, and Engineering as part of a cross-functional, mission-driven agile team
- Work with your team to ensure delivery of product features
Our tech stack
- Java, Selenium, Cucumber, Detox
- HTML5, CSS, Sass, React.js, jQuery
- Phalcon, PHP 7, PHPUnit, Behat
- Swift, Kotlin, React Native
- REST API, JSON, SOAP
- AWS, Debian, Docker, nginx
- PostgreSQL, Redis, ElasticSearch
- Git, Scrum
- JIRA, TestRail
What you need to succeed
- Experience in hiring, mentoring and leading a team of 10+ developers
- Desire to work with clean and maintainable code
- Good oral and written communication skills in English
- You are proactive, goal-oriented, self-motivated, reliable, and structured in your work
- You have 4+ years experience developing web-based products using PHP (PHP7 experience required)
- You are a clear and convincing communicator in English with an ability to express technical concepts to stakeholders no matter their professional background
- You are experienced in managing large and complex activities and processes across multiple projects
- You thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- Experience with Golang, release management tasks, cloud infrastructure, and/or DevOps is a plus
Our offer to you
- An indefinite contract and full-time position at a mission-driven workplace where your daily tasks will help people lead a happy and healthy life.
- The opportunity to have a measurable impact within a fast-growing, innovative, and performance-driven company during the outset of its international market expansion
- A flat hierarchy that embraces ownership and promotes creative freedom. Your voice will be heard.
- “Workout. Life. Balance.” Life happens, and work can’t always come first. We support you in finding a way to balance the two.
- Lots of learning opportunities — we enable you to grow both personally and professionally.
- Many additional perks including: regular team events, fully equipped kitchens with healthy snacks & beverages, employee referral bonuses, and more.
- A free Urban Sports Club L Membership (and lots of colleagues to use it with!)
Urban Sports Club is committed to providing a friendly, safe, and welcoming environment for everyone who works here or with us, regardless of their sports preferences, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, or religion (or lack thereof).