Established in 1744, Sotheby’s is the world’s premier destination for art and luxury. Synonymous with innovation, Sotheby’s promotes access, connoisseurship and preservation of fine art and rare objects through auctions, private sales and retail locations. Our trusted global marketplace is supported by a network of specialists spanning 40 countries and 50 categories, which include Contemporary Art, Modern and Impressionist Art, Old Masters, Chinese Works of Art, Jewelry, Watches, Wine and Spirits, and Interiors, among many others.
Sotheby’s is looking for an experienced Presale Client Experience Coordinator, Private Sales to own the operational execution of sales in accordance with company policies and best practices while delivering high-quality client service. This dynamic role is ideal for a candidate who thrives in a fast-paced environment, enjoys multi-tasking and organizational tasks whilst coordinating all key processes leading up to the sales. The successful candidate will support sales across Private Sales.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate and facilitate the compliant processing of private sales, including contract preparation and logistics
- Collaborate with wider business to address client enquiries, resolve client issues and execute client transactions to ensure the highest level of client satisfaction
- Ensure all required legal and compliance documentation are on file including photo ID, proof of address, payment instruction and W8/9 forms
- Liaise with clients and manage property throughout the sale cycle
- Communicate with clients, shipping coordinators and overseas and regional offices to facilitate inbound shipments, obtain export licenses and arrange customs clearance in accordance with sale deadlines
- Manage consignment agreements and terms of sale including requesting legal contracts, generating SAP contracts, tracking receipt of all contracts, IC disclosures and IC recipient contracts
- Work closely with Legal department and Business Manager/Director on sale agreements with complex, highly managed terms
- Collaborate with Business Manager/Director with regards to extended payment terms, guarantees and irrevocable bids, ensuring all due diligence requirements are met
- Work with Specialists, Compliance and Shipping to track all outstanding compliance issues and ensure they are resolved according to catalogue and sale deadlines
- With cataloguers arrange for property to be authenticated, where necessary, in line with various committee deadlines
- Coordinate the movement of property with shipping coordinators and with cataloguers and sale coordinators (only for Luxury where we have these coordinators) internally and externally for third-party services (such as restorers, external experts, authentication committees, photographers)
- Review pre-sale compliance reports (AML, ALR) and complete High-Value Lot (HVL) forms as necessary
- Prepare lot cards for exhibition
- Obtain and action recommendations for unsold property and facilitate return to consignor shipment and/or collection
- Follow pending payments with post sale
- Liaise with Post-Sale to manage consignor expectations as it relates to late payment
- Monitor and process House Property and Temporary Admission (TA) property quarterly
- Support Inactive Inventory Initiative and work closely with Specialist department and Operations to meet inventory targets
- Degree in business administration or equivalent field preferred
- 2-3 years’ experience in business administration and/or client service
- Exceptional client service skills including strong verbal and written communication skills
- Competencies in legal, finance and/or project management
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage challenging deadlines
- Creative problem solver with ability to act quickly and effectively under pressure
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, and able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency with MS Word, Outlook and Excel, and general familiarity with database management.
- Fluency in English, Cantonese, and Mandarin essential. Must be able to read and write Traditional Chinese.
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the US, please click here.
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the UK, Hong Kong, France and Switzerland, please click here.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants for employment without regard to race (including, without limitation, traits historically associated with race, such as natural hair, hair texture, and protective and treated or untreated hairstyles), color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership/union status, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic predisposition, genetic information, reproductive health decision, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, alienage or citizenship status, domestic violence victim status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province or local law. The Company complies with applicable state and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it operates.