Established in 1744, Sotheby’s is the world’s premier destination for art and luxury. Synonymous with innovation, Sotheby’s promotes access, connoisseurship and preservation of fine art and rare objects through auctions, private sales and retail locations. Our trusted global marketplace is supported by a network of specialists spanning 40 countries and 50 categories, which include Contemporary Art, Modern and Impressionist Art, Old Masters, Chinese Works of Art, Jewelry, Watches, Wine and Spirits, and Interiors, among many others.
Position Summary: Responsible for new and current business generation in Hong Kong and Singapore, and for the sourcing, solicitation, authentication, evaluation and sale of Asia-based property to meet sales and profit targets across a range of channels and formats as directed by the Wine & Spirits Leadership Team. You will play an active part in the day-to-day business getting for the department’s sales and will work closely with the global Specialist team to support the growth and success of the global Sotheby’s Whisky & Spirits business, taking the lead on growing our new programme of sales in Asia.
Sourcing and Expertise
Sourcing and securing profitable consignments for auction and fixed price opportunities, managing sale production, deadlines and targets
- Use personal relationships, tastings, dinners and all types of events (private & trade) to build an impressive and important network of private and trade clients who trust your knowledge and expertise and will do business with you on both the buy & sell sides
- Negotiate and secure whisky and spirits for auction and fixed price selling opportunities, meeting individual and team margin and revenue targets together with local and global annual budget
- Use Specialist knowledge and expertise on strategic long-term business getting focused on high level clients and their requirements. Act as a client contact for this client base and nurture relationships.
- Be a respected and trusted authority on the whisky and spirits market and use that experience with clients, press and on social media
- Set an example of scholarship providing expertise, researching and cataloguing whisky and spirits to the highest standard and in accordance with sale deadlines
- Value property to provide auction/retail/fair market/insurance estimates
- Perform property inspection for whisky and spirits at Sotheby’s warehouses and on-site at client’s premises when required
- Lead on inspections and research/cataloguing of whisky and spirits for sale in Asia, and assist in the Americas and Europe when required
- Manage sale production and deadlines:
- Inspecting and authenticating property
- Ensure that all photography is completed in a timely manner
- Researching and writing catalogue entries
- Proof reading
- Liaising with Catalogue Production and Sale Creation teams as appropriate
- Produce and manage appraisal and proposal coordination
- Keep business getting spreadsheet updated to current status
Proactively sell all Sotheby’s Whisky and Spirits sales (both auction and fixed price offerings) to Sotheby’s global database of clients and actively engage in the growth of the global Sotheby’s Whisky and Spirits audience
- Build a private client base that actively buys in our global Whisky and Spirits business
- Act as an ambassador for the Whisky and Spirits business within Sotheby’s, promoting its services, products and expertise to internal stakeholders, cross selling the Sotheby’s Whisky and Spirits business to all Sotheby’s clients
- Provide advice to buyers across Sotheby’s Whisky and Spirits global auction and fixed price opportunities
- Responsible for selling whisky and spirits to clients via telephone, email, in-person and at events
- Events composition/participation to include client development and entertaining
- Participate in local, regional and global Sotheby’s Whisky and Spirits projects as required
- Provide support to other parts of the Sotheby’s Whisky and Spirits business as and when required
- Consistently seek opportunities to promote and sell other Sotheby’s categories to own client base
- Demonstrate a consistently client first approach to business, ensuring active and timely communication with clients and ensuring that their needs are at the center of our decisions and actions while remaining compliant with Sotheby’s policies and code of conduct
- Demonstrate a “One Sotheby’s” approach to the business, working to build the most effective worldwide business
- Look for innovative solutions to make our business better
- Expectation to take on managerial responsibility for further Spirits team members in Asia as they are added
- Outgoing, social and personable character with a strong ability to network and convert social connections into business opportunities
- Excellent communication skills – fluent in both written and spoken English; Mandarin or Cantonese is a plus
- Experience networking and selling to high net worth and ultra-high net worth individuals
- Exceptional knowledge of fine and rare whisky and spirits relevant to the auction & retail market, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in the industry
- Understand and demonstrate a “no compromise” attitude towards luxury: protecting the Sotheby’s Whisky and Spirits vision and brand equity while achieving short term sales goals
- Experience in developing clientele over time and nurturing relationships
- High level of attention to detail is a must
- Self-starter with an ability to make commercial decisions independently professional, discreet and commercial client service skills
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel and SAP preferred
- Please note this role requires a significant amount of physical work moving cases of spirits in our warehouse and private cellars
- Domestic and international travel will be required
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the US, please click here.
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the UK, Hong Kong, France and Switzerland, please click here.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants for employment without regard to race (including, without limitation, traits historically associated with race, such as natural hair, hair texture, and protective and treated or untreated hairstyles), color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership/union status, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic predisposition, genetic information, reproductive health decision, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, alienage or citizenship status, domestic violence victim status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province or local law. The Company complies with applicable state and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it operates.