Established in 1744, Sotheby’s is the world’s premier destination for art and luxury. Synonymous with innovation, Sotheby’s promotes access, connoisseurship and preservation of fine art and rare objects through auctions, private sales and retail locations. Our trusted global marketplace is supported by a network of specialists spanning 40 countries and 50 categories, which include Contemporary Art, Modern and Impressionist Art, Old Masters, Chinese Works of Art, Jewelry, Watches, Wine and Spirits, and Interiors, among many others.
Based in our Los Angeles Flagship location, this role will focus on the management of the Gallery schedule, driving sales, organizing extensive programming and delivering a bespoke client experience. This role will include business getting and both sourcing items for and selling items in the gallery.
- Work closely with the Managing director Western Region, and the Senior specialists to plan and execute an extensive yearly programing schedule including Private Sales, selling exhibitions, Marketplace, travelling exhibitions, partner exhibitions and events
- Identify and lead new ideas and opportunities to drive business and offer maximum brand exposure
- Responsible for the schedule execution; running exhibitions, sales and projects with partners and employees as the onsite contact
- Ensure the space is fully activated and well presented each day
- Work with Buy Now teams to maintain stock and display of items for immediate purchase
- Work closely with the Los Angeles team to ensure overall management of the space: opening/closing, general upkeep of a clean, well-lighted, tidy and attractive space and staffing the space
- Drive business across all formats and all categories, working closely with LA and Global specialists
- Interact with and sell to clients across categories
- Work closely with Private Sales team to identify appropriate exhibitions and partnerships
- Communicate with Sales Directors and Specialists across departments to promote and facilitate sale opportunities and transactions
- Develop a network within the wider Sotheby’s Relationship Manager community (Chairmen, Senior Specialists, Business Development) to further develop opportunities to drive engagement and transactions
- Work with Client Strategy to identify and develop clients to actively transact, to cultivate long-term client relationships and build the client base
- Work closely with Marketing and Museum Services teams on existing and new relationships with
- local partners, neighbors, museums and galleries
- Work with Global teams on the execution of successful travelling exhibitions
- Ensure pricelists are up to date (managing the running list- updating what is
- hanging, where it’s located, asking prices, nets and pulling a listing for the weekly emails.
- Also managing the sold listing- noting what sold, new nets, sold prices and business getters involved)
- Work with the Business Manager on costs of programming, exhibitions and events and expenses accordingly
- Collaborate with Press, Marketing, Special Events, Facilities and Operations in the promotion of the space and event management
- Maintain a full understanding and use of systems, including security, POS, and channels for transaction processing
- Staff evening events, weekend and holiday opening hours
- Ensure adherence to compliance and corporate governance rules
- Oversee the Gallery Assistant(s) and their daily work schedules
IDEAL EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in an auction, gallery or retail setting
- Contemporary Art Specialty desirable
- Superior client service skills and experience managing a client portfolio
- General overall knowledge of fine art and luxury objects
- Excellent attention to detail
- A team player who works with other colleagues to complete tasks and activities.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to interact with a wide range of people.
- Superior organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks with speed and efficiency.
- Excellent time management skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility to work overtime and weekend hours.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants for employment without regard to race (including, without limitation, traits historically associated with race, such as natural hair, hair texture, and protective and treated or untreated hairstyles), color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership/union status, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic predisposition, genetic information, reproductive health decision, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, alienage or citizenship status, domestic violence victim status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province or local law. The Company complies with applicable state and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it operates.