Schrödinger, a science and technology leader with 30 years of experience providing solutions for atomic-scale modeling and physics-based chemical simulations, seeks a Software Engineer to improve and maintain the code of our enterprise products.
We’re seeking someone with a strong grasp of software development fundamentals, along with an interest in learning more about both new cutting-edge technologies and the Chemistry, Biology and Physics problems that our software helps to solve.
As a member of the LiveDesign team, you’ll join a group of passionate engineers, entrepreneurs, scientists and tinkerers in their efforts to develop a rich web application that allows scientists to leverage the power of the Schrodinger’s software platform. Using your love for software development and eye for coding quality, you will play an essential role in revolutionizing the design of novel therapeutics and materials.
Who will love this job:
- A software engineer with a passion for adopting best engineering practices
- A computer scientist with an interest in chemistry, physics, or biology
- An excellent verbal and written communicator with great interpersonal skills
- An independent time manager who’s enthusiastic about learning new methods to solve challenging problems
- A software developer proficient with one or more OO programming languages (Java, Python, etc)
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate closely within a cross-functional agile team composed of product designers, developers and testers to deliver features and functionality that meet business and product goals
- Design, build and test high performance, distributed components in problem areas including but not limited to data aggregation/transformation/reporting and large-scale computations for a collaborative multi-user application
- Exercise your own judgment along with support from teammates to architect and implement robust, maintainable solutions
- Implement unit tests and integration tests to drive development
- Participate in a code reviewing environment that encourages learning and high code quality
What you’ll need:
- A BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related field
- Experience with most of:
- Source control (GIT, SVN, etc)
- Open source technologies
- Linux/UNIX operating system
- Writing software that communicates directly with 3rd party software (e.g. crawlers, automation scripts, API’s)
- Experience with the following is a plus:
- Relational or non-relational databases
- Large scale distributed computing (Kafka, Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark)
- Building a system that operated on greater than 10 machines
- Experience with microservices architecture
- Log processing and data analysis
- High performance Scalable / Redundant / High volume systems
Pay and perks:
Schrödinger understands it’s people that make a company great. Because of this, we’re prepared to offer a competitive salary, stock options, and a wide range of benefits that include healthcare (with dental and vision), a 401k, pre-tax commuter benefits, a flexible work schedule, and a parental leave program. We have catered meals in the office every day, a company culture that is relaxed but engaged, and over a month of paid vacation time. Our Administrative and Human Resources departments also plan a myriad of fun company-wide events. New York is home to our largest office, but we have teams all over the world. Schrödinger is honored to have been selected as one of Crain's New York Best Places to Work for the past three years running.
Sound exciting? Apply today and join us!
As an equal opportunity employer, Schrödinger hires outstanding individuals into every position in the company. People who work with us have a high degree of engagement, a commitment to working effectively in teams, and a passion for the company's mission. We place the highest value on creating a safe environment where our employees can grow and contribute, and refuse to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious belief, sex, age, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, marital status, partnership status, caregiver status, sexual and reproductive health decisions, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation. To us, "diversity" isn't just a buzzword, but an important element of our core principles and key business practices. We believe that diverse companies innovate better and think more creatively than homogenous ones because they take into account a wide range of viewpoints. For us, greater diversity doesn't mean better headlines or public images - it means increased adaptability and profitability.