LA28 is a non-profit public benefit corporation. The specific purpose of the organization is to improve and enhance the quality of life of the residents of the City of Los Angeles, California and the surrounding metropolitan area through the hosting of the Olympic and Paralympic Games in Los Angeles. Its core activities include: (1) planning, organization, financing, promotion, sponsorship, hosting and staging the Games, (2) raising funds to be used to plan, organize, finance, promote, sponsor, host or stage the Games, and (3) creating and implementing sustainability and legacy programs for the Games.
LA28 expects to generate over $6B in revenue, primarily from disbursements from the IOC, ticketing, domestic sponsorships, and licensing. These revenues will cover all expenses, with a robust contingency, for planning and executing the Games, including temporary construction, workforce, and all operations for both the Olympic and Paralympic Games. LA28 will also invest up to $160M in youth sports in the City of Los Angeles to make sport more accessible and affordable to young Angelenos leading up to the Games in 2028 – beginning the legacy of LA28 now, not after the Games conclude.
LA is Games-ready today – LA28 will therefore spend the next seven years focused not on permanent construction, but on enhancing the experience for athletes, spectators, and the community as it prepares the greatest Olympic and Paralympic Games in history.
We are looking for individuals who share our values:
- Optimism – Embody a positive, enthusiastic, and solution-oriented attitude in everything we do; inspire and support one another to achieve our best; have our eyes on the future and believe we can make a meaningful impact
- Integrity – We communicate openly and honestly, listen, and respectfully value multiple perspectives; we do what we say and are accountable for everything we do; we do the right thing, always. Even when it isn’t easy
- Excellence – We hold ourselves to the highest standard and expectations; we live our values and truths and persevere through challenges; we are continuous learners and adapt and pivot with speed to meet changing needs
- Inclusion – We seek to represent, include, empower and level the playing field; our work reflects the communities we serve and the world in which we live; we leverage our platforms to bring awareness to issues relevant to who we are
- Co-Creation – We are authors of a shared story. We embrace collaboration within and across teams; everyone contributes their unique voice to our shared mission; we share pride in our accomplishments and ownership of our shortcomings
- Boldness – We embrace creativity, courage and outside-the-box thinking; we are unafraid to take risks, explore unconventional solutions, and learn from the process; we are innovators, disruptors, and challengers of the status quo
The Controller will manage all day-to-day accounting activities as well as help lead the development of a long-term comprehensive accounting solution for the organization. A focus on implementing efficient processes and internal controls while leveraging automation will be key. Immediate priorities will include refining the current month-end close process, solidifying accounting positions and preparing technical memos, and taking a lead role in driving the implementation of a new ERP solution. Technical acumen, excellent communication skills and attention to detail are essential skills for the role.
Are you an accounting guru looking for your next challenge? Are you a self-starter, and do you thrive in a fast-paced environment? Do you love sports? If you answered “yes” to the above, the Controller for LA28 might be the role for you!
The successful candidate for this role will seamlessly navigate between the details and the big picture. We are currently a small team and operate with a start-up mentality. LA28’s workforce as well as its transactions and accounting complexities will grow rapidly over the next couple of years, and exponentially as the Games approach. The Controller will need to roll up their sleeves and process weekly and monthly transactions while also partnering with the Vice President, Accounting to design future state systems and processes to support a multi-billion-dollar, 6,500+ employee organization. The Controller will take the lead on technical accounting issues and manage the relationships with external auditors and tax services providers.
As the perfect candidate, you are:
- Strategically minded and excited to bring your experience to the table to help build a world-class accounting function for LA28.
- Extremely detail-oriented, with accuracy being your default modus operandi.
- Comfortable with rolling-up your sleeves and doing what it takes to get the job done.
- Highly efficient at performing the month-end close process and preparing financial statements and footnotes.
- Well-trained in performing technical research and preparing well-thought-out position memos.
- Excited to grow and scale a team of accounting professionals - both full time employees and outsourced consultants
- Able to identify areas for process improvements with the natural drive to implement cost-effective solutions.
- Always acting with a high level of discretion and integrity.
- Intellectually curious with the ability to learn quickly to round out areas where you may not have the depth of experience.
- Collaborative and would be excited to join the LA28 team!
While not intended to be all-inclusive, below is a general summary of responsibilities and requirements of this role.
- Own the financial statement preparation process, including month-end close, reconciliations, footnote preparation, etc.
- Perform technical accounting research and prepare supporting memos
- Manage annual and quarterly audit schedules
- Oversee outside providers for the preparation of statutory tax filings; ensuring compliance and optimization
- Collaborate with Finance to leverage cutting edge technology to take the accounting and finance function to the next level
- Help drive the implementation of a new ERP/HRIS system
- Assist with developing and documenting best-in-class accounting processes with a focus on internal-controls, scaling, and automation
- Close the books and prepare financial statements and detailed reconciliations for each account monthly
- Work closely with FP&A to ensure the accuracy of monthly accruals and assist FP&A with any budget-to-actual variance analysis
- Process accounts payable and accounts receivable and answer vendor/customer inquiries (short-term responsibility until the team grows)
- Analyze sponsorship and license contracts and prepare ASC606 summary positions
- Analyze vendor contracts as needed and prepare ASC842 summary positions
- Research ad hoc technical accounting matters and document the organizations accounting position
- Play a lead role in the external annual audit, assisting with external audit requests, preparing PBC documents, and drafting footnotes
- Assist external tax advisors by providing information necessary to prepare IRS Form 990 and IRS Form 1065 and assist with ad hoc tax matters
- Support VP and CFO with reporting needs for executive management team, Board of Directors and other external constituents
- 10+ years of experience in accounting, with at least 5 years of public experience
- Proven hands-on experience driving the full month-end close cycle
- Experience owning the annual financial reporting process, including drafting footnotes
- Experience managing the year-end audit cycle and responding to auditor requests
- Hands-on working knowledge with tier one ERP systems
- Prior experience implementing an ERP system
- Experience preforming technical accounting research and drafting technical memos
- Hands-on experience analyzing contracts and accounting for transactions under ASC606
- Hands-on experience analyzing contracts and accounting for transactions under ASC842
- High-level familiarity with tax concepts for LLC’s and non-profits
- An extremely high level of discretion and integrity when handling sensitive information
- Self-starter and self-directed, driven to go above and beyond to find ways to automate, streamline and improve processes
- Organizational skills, attention to detail and accuracy is a must
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- BS in Finance or Accounting
- Sports Industry experience
- Prior experience managing a team of at least three (3)
- CPA designation
- Experience working in a cyclical or event driven business
- Experience working in a business where sponsorships is the main source of revenue
- Non-profit experience
- Experience managing or overseeing a tax function
- Passion for sport
- Passion for giving back to the City of Los Angeles
All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter.
LA28 is committed to operating fair and unbiased recruitment procedures allowing all applicants an equal opportunity for employment, free from discrimination on the basis of religion, race, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, color, ethnic or national origin, or any other classification as may be protected by applicable law. We aim to recruit the right people for the jobs we have to offer, and to assess applications on the basis of relevant skills, education, and experience.