The Data Science Manager - Remote US - will be responsible for coaching, mentoring, and managing the Data Science team as well as shaping the technical road map and standards for iHerb's products. The Data Science Manager assists in analyzing data from multiple sources to spot trends and gain insight that can give iHerb a competitive advantage. This individual will utilize ETL techniques, statistical analysis, machine learning/data mining techniques, data visualization skills and related tools/software to solve challenging problems and help lead the Data Science team to do the same. The Data Science Manager will lead the Data Science team in mining data, visualizing results and collaborating closely with Technology teams to optimize our business with the ultimate goal of helping iHerb redefine the customer experience through our eCommerce platform
- Manage the team’s day to day matters: scheduling resources, time off requests, feedback and recognition, and operations
- Coach and mentor the team on best practices
- Provide regular updates on projects and team performance
- Lead the team’s software architecture & design
- Responsible for ownership of Data Science Projects
- Prepare reports, manuals and other documentation on the status, operation and maintenance of software
- Assist Technical Product Management in the collection and documentation of user's requirements, development of user stories, estimates and work plans
- Guide team development efforts towards successful project delivery
- Provide technical leadership to teammates through coaching and mentorship.
- Creatively explore how to use data to continually add value and translate ad hoc questions into flexible methodologies that scale to answer broad problems across the organization
- Research and develop methods for measuring and analyzing marketing spend effectiveness ∙
- Partner with various teams to find new insights in iHerb’s data, and building solutions that have a direct impact on our customers and your colleagues
- Develop models to predict customer demand and operational efficiency.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and make recommendations for continuous improvement
- Communicates data findings to both business and IT leaders to influence how an organization approaches and meets business challenges of an evolving customer base and changing marketplace, using strong business acumen.
- Finds and recommends new uses for existing data sources; designs, modifies, and builds new data processes; and builds large, complex data sets.
- Conducts statistical modeling and experiment design, and tests and validates predictive models. ∙
- Builds web prototypes and performs data visualization
- Conducts scalable data research on and off the cloud
- Develops customized algorithms to solve analytical problems with incomplete data sets, and implements automated processes for efficiently producing scale models
- Collaborates with database engineers and other scientists to develop, refine, and scale data management and analytics procedures, systems, workflows, best practices, and other issues. ∙ Implements new or enhanced software designed to access and handle data more efficiently
- Trains the data management team on new or updated procedures.
- Writes and implements quality procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to inspire team
- Strong coding experience (e.g. Java, Scala, C#, Python, or R)
- Experience in ETL systems and writing SQL scripts for analysis and reporting.
- Strong foundation in descriptive and inferential statistics and experience with statistical tools/ analysis, regression modeling, forecasting, and time series analysis.
- Experience with Machine learning/Data mining techniques and algorithms (Supervised/unsupervised learning, classification, clustering, rule mining, NLP, Deep Learning)
- Experience with data visualization techniques and tools.
- Experience with gathering data from multiple sources using big data technologies (Spark, Hadoop, BigQuery, Athena, etc.)
- Knowledge of modern software development tools, systems, and practices (design patterns, CI/CD, git, unit testing, smoke testing, integration testing, job schedulers)
- Exposure to all aspects of the software development life-cycle
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Passion for leveraging technical solutions aligned with long term strategy with incremental deliverable outputs would be appreciated.
- Strong interpersonal communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to work on data mining, data science projects with application engineering, quality engineers and product management.
- Ability to mentor other data scientists and engineers.
- Passion to stay on the cutting edge of data science.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with Google Business Suite (Gmail, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Forms) preferred
- Experience with cloud technologies like AWS Lambdas and Google functions, etc.
- Experience with messaging technologies (Kafka, Google Pub/Sub, Kinesis, RabbitMQ, etc.
Generally requires a minimum of five (5) years relevant experience in applied machine learning and Data Science, and one (1) year of relevant work experience in leading Machine Learning, Applied Science, or Data Science teams..
Advanced degree (M.S. or Ph.D.) in Engineering, Math, Statistics, Finance, or Computer Science required.
iHerb is a leading global eCommerce retailer with an emphasis on providing an exceptional selection of nutritional and wellness products for the past 25 years. With over 30,000 products shipped to over 180 countries, we provide the best overall value for natural products through an innovative and efficient supply chain process.
Our teams have a strong sense of commitment and pride in their work, which has allowed us to grow, even during the recent pandemic. At iHerb, our purpose is to empower people to enhance their health, happiness, and well-being — that starts with valuing our team members by providing a positive work environment with competitive benefits. Our five shared values unite our team members across the globe and provide a stable foundation. These values speak to who we are, the culture we’re building, and how every single team member contributes to our larger company vision.
iHerb's Shared Values
Focus on the Customer · Empower Our People · Be Entrepreneurial & Pivot Quickly · Embrace Diversity & Inclusion · Strive for Simplicity
At iHerb, we are dedicated to offering programs designed to help our employees and their families stay healthy, live well and plan for the financial future. Built on a strong foundation, our programs provide options and upgrades with flexibility, protection, and security in mind. Below is a snapshot of the benefits we offer our team members. For a more comprehensive listing, visit www.iHerbBenefits.com.
- Medical Care: Starting in 2021, iHerb covers 100% of the associated cost for medical benefits
- Dental and Vision benefits
- Safe Harbor 401(k) + company match (100% of the first 6% of the employee’s contribution)
- Company-paid Term Life Insurance
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Account (for qualifying expenses)
- Pet Insurance
- Voluntary Supplemental Benefits
- Education Reimbursement Programs
- Professional Development and Job Training
- Wellness Programs with opportunity to earn up to $300 per year
We strive for innovation, targeted at delivering a customer-centric experience while transforming the online shopping experience. We change direction and define ourselves in the idea that individually we are incredible but united our growth is infinite and paramount to our success. iHerb strives to be the global industry leader!
iHerb is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. iHerb provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment.