The Associate Product Development Manager is responsible for optimizing new and existing formulations within iHerb House Brands for Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs, Powders, Bars, and Supplements. This position identifies vendors to work with in creating new products, product lines, and maintains/improves current product portfolios. Responsible for ensuring product design is consistent with market trends, business strategy, and ensures product quality and efficacy. This position will manage multiple, complex projects and drive outcomes and optimal results.
- Manage products through conception, formula development and packaging stages while staying in close communication with contract manufacturers
- Provide feedback on sample submissions and ensure formulations are high quality, safe, efficacious, and cost effective
- Leverage consumer insights and emerging technologies to guide product innovation plans.
- Build and manage strong strategic relationships and maintain effective communications with vendors. Continuously grow supplier base and capabilities
- Identify novel ingredients and communicate emerging trends in the nutraceutical industry regarding demand for key ingredient formats for product formulas. Monitor any supply issues based on ongoing changes within the global marketplace
- Drive awareness on new product launches and emerging trends in nutritional products, vitamins, minerals, and herbs
- Organize and present status on projects while appropriately prioritizing team activities based on business objectives
- Ensure product label claims are being met in accordance with product specification targets
- Review and develop (where necessary) facts panels for food and dietary supplements to ensure they are meeting labeling requirements based on the Code of Federal Regulations
- Review artwork to ensure accuracy for technical aspects (e.g. facts panel and other copy/callouts specifying amounts or features pertaining to ingredient levels or allergens)
- Effectively communicate in a cross-functional team environment serving as a core member or SME in solving formulation, process, or ingredient sourcing issues
- Set and refine individual priorities as necessary to remain focused on objectives and project milestones under rapidly changing circumstances
- Effectively interface with Supply Chain and Quality to proactively identify and qualify alternate raw materials and/or suppliers for Supply Chain continuity
- Work with procurement and marketing to generate new ideas and sourcing options
- Execute initiatives with our suppliers to ensure product quality and efficacy
- Establish regular communications stream and follow-up with all team/project members
- Prepare product formula documentation to send out for quotation and support communications with contract manufacturers during the quotation and development process
The duties and responsibilities described above may provide only a partial description of this position. This is not an exhaustive list of all aspects of the job. Other duties and responsibilities not outlined in this document may be added as necessary or desirable, with or without notice.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong analytical, data management knowledge
- Adaptability and flexibility to focus quickly on changing situations or revised goals
- Ability to communicate written and verbally in a professional manner with people at all levels of the organization and external contacts
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Detail oriented, strong analytical skills, team-player
- CFR Title 21 Part 111 (cGMP in manufacturing, packaging, labeling, or holding operations for Dietary Supplements.
- Knowledge of Food Safety standards, GFSI, BRC, PCQI, SQF.
- Understanding of HACCP/ Quality Management, production, & Manufacturing Systems.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with Google Business Suite (Gmail, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Forms) preferred
Generally, requires three (3) to four (4) years of relevant industry experience in R&D, manufacturing, product development and/or regulatory affairs. Project Management skills required.
Bachelor’s Degree and equivalent work experience in Science (e.g. Biology, Chemical Engineering, etc), Food Science, Nutrition, Pharmaceutical Science or related field
iHerb is a leading global e-commerce retailer with an emphasis on providing an exceptional selection of nutritional and wellness products for the past 25 years. With over 30,000 products shipped to over 180 countries, we provide the best overall value for natural products through an innovative and efficient supply chain process.
Our teams have a strong sense of commitment and pride in their work, which has allowed us to grow, even during the recent pandemic. At iHerb, our purpose is to empower people to enhance their health, happiness, and well-being — that starts with valuing our team members by providing a positive work environment with competitive benefits. Our five shared values unite our team members across the globe and provide a stable foundation. These values speak to who we are, the culture we’re building, and how every single team member contributes to our larger company vision.
iHerb's Shared Values
Focus on the Customer · Empower Our People · Be Entrepreneurial & Pivot Quickly · Embrace Diversity & Inclusion · Strive for Simplicity
At iHerb, we are dedicated to offering programs designed to help our employees and their families stay healthy, live well and plan for the financial future. Built on a strong foundation, our programs provide options and upgrades with flexibility, protection, and security in mind. Below is a snapshot of the benefits we offer our team members. For a more comprehensive listing, visit www.iHerbBenefits.com.
- Medical Care: Starting in 2021, iHerb covers 100% of the associated cost for medical benefits
- Dental and Vision benefits
- Safe Harbor 401(k) + company match (100% of the first 6% of the employee’s contribution)
- Company-paid Term Life Insurance
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Account (for qualifying expenses)
- Pet Insurance
- Voluntary Supplemental Benefits
- Education Reimbursement Programs
- Professional Development and Job Training
- Wellness Programs with opportunity to earn up to $300 per year
We strive for innovation, targeted at delivering a customer-centric experience while transforming the online shopping experience. We change direction and define ourselves in the idea that individually we are incredible but united our growth is infinite and paramount to our success. iHerb strives to be the global industry leader!
iHerb is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. iHerb provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment.