Job Summary: The Hardware Engineering Manager is a hands on leader who coordinates engineering staff and aligns efforts with the other engineering functions (Vendors, SW, Systems integration, Layout, TPM) to ensure that a great quality engineering product is delivered. You leverage your project execution experience together with principal engineers experience in designing, developing, testing and manufacturing complex Electrical-Mechanical systems. The HW Engineering Manager works closely with the team to ensure schedules are accurate and tasks delivered on time, budget and quality. Good people skills and business acumen are required to support data driven decisions and a high development velocity. You will set the bar for engineering staff with great communication skills, passion and a curious mind while being highly collaborative.
A day in the life of the Hardware Engineering Manager…. You’ll lead a team of 6+ Mechanical, Electrical and Digital Hardware engineers as we develop a new platform architecture. The team will develop a complex EM system and you’ll be organically involved in all aspects. In the Mechanical domain we’ll design or specify Motors, Mechanisms, Sensors, Chassis, Housings, etc. which will be designed in house and manufactured with a global contract manufacturing/ODM base. In the Electrical domain the team will develop a complex mobile compute (Processor, Memory, IO, Sensors (cameras, gyro, accel, etc)) and motion control (high power motor controllers, battery management system, sensors, chargers, etc). It’s important to understand the development and production process of these systems and commodities (Casting, Stamping, Molding, Board Fab, Debug, Test Fixtures, Harnessing, Safety, Batteries, etc). Your leadership and passion to deliver a great solution fast will inspire and motivate the team.
- Oversee the engineering progress including design workshops, vendor communication, standard processes, documentation standards, etc.
- Lead or audit vendor meetings for critical component selection to extract critical information and dive-deep to collect relevant data.
- Drive technology development including working with vendors and directing their roadmap decisions.
- Show good judgement making technical trade-offs with your team for short term and long term business needs
- Influence the team technical and business strategy by making insightful contributions to the team’s priorities and approach.
- Manage overall execution schedule. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary – you drive best practices and set standards for your team.
- Serve as the technical lead for major subsystems through the entire product design cycle, from road-mapping to proof-of-concept, prototype, and refined designs.
- Lead the team through well thought out “quick and dirty” proof of concepts and rapidly explore alternatives to quickly arrive at the best solution.
- Drive a ‘Fail Fast’ culture that rapidly iterates and refines solutions derived from data
- Manage schedules and milestones
- Cut through confusion and ensure we’re firing on all cylinders
- Communicate technical, schedule and budget risks early and present mitigation plans for same
- Apply your technical expertise to practical problem solving
- Function as a subject matter expert on a variety of technologies by providing up-to-date, accurate information to colleagues and management.
- Travel up to 30% domestic and international
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Demonstrate a strong working knowledge and in-depth experience developing mechanical, electrical and computer systems, with extensive expertise having delivered products from clean sheet to mass production.
You must have extensive experience moving complex products from concept to mass production.
Ability to must show a hands-on passion for the team effort, and be able to communicate ideas and concepts both verbally and visually.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Requires a minimum of 4 years experience in consumer electronics, mechatronics, automotive or other similar industry as a hands on engineer and 4 years as a manager of a multidisciplinary team successfully delivering goods to market
Solid understanding of Electrical, Mechanical and Computer development process
Great track record as a people and project manager
At iHerb we strive for innovation, targeted at delivering a customer-centric experience while transforming the online shopping experience. We change direction and define ourselves in the idea that individually we are incredible but united our growth is infinite and paramount to our success. iHerb strives to be the global industry leader!
iHerb is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. iHerb provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment.