Founded in 1999, SurveyMonkey changed the way people gather feedback by making it easy for anyone to create their own online surveys. Today, SurveyMonkey’s mission is to power curious individuals and organizations to measure, benchmark and act on the opinions that drive success. Our People Powered Data platform enables conversations at scale to deliver impactful customer, employee and market insights. The company’s 700+ employees are dedicated to fueling the curiosity of over 16 million active users globally. For more information about SurveyMonkey, please visit surveymonkey.com.
Senior Manager, Data Science
The Data and Analytics team at SurveyMonkey is looking for a Senior Manager of Data Science to work with and lead a team of data scientists that implement tools and technologies to help our customers and internal constituents achieve extraordinary value. We are looking for someone to join our team to work on and lead groundbreaking R&D projects, to leverage massive structured, unstructured, transactional and real-time data sets from a variety of sources, analyze financial and customer usage patterns and make actionable recommendations using machine learning, data mining, business understanding and common sense.
We want to hear from statistics, data mining and machine learning experts (a.k.a. data scientists) who:
- are at home discussing a project with business owners, researchers or developers,
- thrive on accelerating business growth,
- are willing and able to roll up their sleeves up and do the hard work,
- can build, grow and motivate a team, and
- are extremely creative, collaborative, innovative – yet disciplined, methodical and down to earth
This role is about 50% team management and 50% hands-on work.
Work with us as we develop and apply state-of-the-art big-data techniques in our cloud infrastructure, where your work will directly impact the success of our customers and SurveyMonkey.
In detail you will:
- Build, grow, motivate and mentor a team of data scientists
- Implement a solid development, evaluation, deployment and refinement methodology for data science projects
- Interact with internal clients and product managers to understand their requirements for predictive analytics applications.
- Develop and test predictive algorithms to be implemented as part of internal tools and customer facing applications (be hands on as well as manage).
- Understand business goals and initiatives, and combine business modeling skills with outstanding data analysis.
- Cooperate with the Data Engineering team to design and execute replicable data acquisition and utilization processes.
- Cooperate with the Engineering team to integrate models into production code
- Cooperate with BI teams to deliver forward looking insights into our business.
In order to solve these challenges, you should be able to leverage off-the-shelf or open-source technologies as well as in-house engineering, and feel comfortable with big data solutions, applications and infrastructure:
Required Experience and Skills
- Advanced degree (M.Sc., Ph.D. preferred) in stats, math, CS or another relevant field.
- 5+ years of industrial data-mining / analytics experience including applied techniques in data mining, machine learning, or graph mining using Python, R, and/or Spark
- Experience with SQL (Hadoop and Spark experience is a plus)
- Experience turning ideas into actionable designs. Able to persuade stakeholders and champion effective techniques through product development
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, research-oriented group with several ongoing concurrent projects
- Experience in managing a team of data scientists and operating in cross-functional teams
- Scientific publications at relevant scientific conferences and journals is a plus.
- Very strong verbal and written communication skills as well as excellent presentation skills
At SurveyMonkey, we offer competitive salaries, medical/dental benefits, PTO, 401k, paid holidays and parental leave, and equity compensation.
SurveyMonkey is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.