Staff or Principal Data Engineer
Nubank was founded in 2013 to free people from a bureaucratic, slow and inefficient financial system. Since then, through innovative technology and outstanding customer service, the company has been redefining people's relationship with money across Latin America. With operations in Brazil, Mexico and Colombia, Nubank is today the largest digital banking platform in the world outside of Asia and one of the leading technology companies in the world, reinventing over 40 million customers' financial lives.
Nubank achieved this by offering a no-fee credit card, entirely managed by a mobile app, and a digital account, free of taxes. Nubank also offers transparent and hassle-free personal loans, a business account tailored for SMBs, and life insurance. In 2020, Nubank acquired digital broker Easynvest, now called Nu invest, and became the leader in self-directed digital investments in Brazil.
Throughout the years, Nubank raised around US$2 billion with some of the best-known growth and technology investors in the world, such as Berkshire Hathaway, Sequoia, DST, Tencent, Tiger, Kaszek, Founders Fund, Dragoneer, TCV, Redpoint, Ribbit, GIC, Whale Rock, Invesco, QED, and Capital Group.
Today, Nubank is a global company, with offices in São Paulo (Brazil), Mexico City (Mexico), Buenos Aires (Argentina), Bogotá (Colombia), Durham (United States) and Berlin (Germany). Nubank was founded in São Paulo by Colombian David Vélez, and cofounded by Brazilian Cristina Junqueira and American Edward Wible. For more information, visit www.nubank.com.br.
About the team
Our Data Engineering team provides horizontal and democratic platforms to support multiple business units across Nubank. Part of the day to day consists of creating and evolving technical solutions to support a a volume grows by at least 4x every year but also sharing best practices and tools to improve data integrity and consistency.
About the role
The Staff or Principal Data Engineer will help define the strategy, architecture and provide technical leadership to data platformization initiatives.
- Create programs to build scalable, reliable and decentralized data platforms.
- Support the definition of the technical strategy of how we treat data.
- Create the necessary infrastructure to enable vertical data teams to operate effectively in different parts of the organization.
- Mentoring and leading other technical staff, supporting them to be effective on their day to day activities.
- Exposure to large-scale and distributed data environments;
- Experience with highly available systems and data environments;
- Experience with either micro bratch streaming or real-time streaming
- Data modelling
- Data warehousing (desirable)
São Paulo, Brazil / Remote.
*Interviewing and onboarding are currently done virtually due to COVID-19. Everyone new to the team and our current staff will remain working from home until it is safe to return to our offices. When it’s time, we will require a fixed cadence of visiting the office in which employees go to their Business Unit's (BU) base location. Employees will have an employment contract based on the cities that Nu’s offices are located, considering their country of hire. More details can be shared during your hiring process.
This position reports to Vardaan Goyal, VP of Data.
- Health, dental and life insurances
- Meal allowance
- Transportation assistance
- 30 days of paid vacation
- Chance of earning equity at Nubank
- Parking partnership - discounted parking in our office
- Free bike parking with showers available
- NuCare - Our mental health and wellness assistance program
- NuLanguage - Our language learning program
- Gympass partnership
- Extended maternity and paternity Leaves
- Child care allowance
- ‘Espaço Feijão’- Private nursing and breastfeeding spaces in our buildings
- Onsite Health Center - Medical support for every Nubanker in our office
Diversity & Inclusion
At Nubank, we want to be sure that we're building a more diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the customers we serve and seek to empower. That's why we hire based on equality. We consider gender, ethnicity, race, religion, sexual orientation, and other identity markers as enriching elements to our company while ensuring neither of them represent a barrier when recruiting fantastic talent.