WHO WE ARE AND WHAT DO WE BELIEVE? 🦄
Nubank was founded in 2013 to free people from a bureaucratic, slow and inefficient financial system. Since then, through innovative technology and outstanding customer service, the company has been redefining people's relationships with money across Latin America. With operations in Brazil, Mexico, and Colombia, Nubank is today one of the largest digital banking platforms and technology-leading companies in the world.
In 2021 Nubank was listed on NYSE valued at +50 Billion. Today, Nubank is a global company, with offices in São Paulo (Brazil), Mexico City (Mexico), Buenos Aires (Argentina), Bogotá (Colombia), Durham (United States), and Berlin (Germany).
WHAT DO WE USE IN OUR TEAM? 💡
We strive for state-of-the-art data engineering practices and that currently includes a variety of technologies. While we value candidates who are familiar with them, we are also confident that data engineers interested in joining Nubank will learn from our team.
- A multi-cloud data platform that is built under the functional engineering paradigm
- In order to have a very democratic data environment, we use platforms like Databricks, BigQuery, and Looker to provide a complete data experience for a big and very broad audience with many levels of data literacy. Currently, more than a thousand Nubankers use our platform on a weekly basis
- Horizontally scalable microservices written mostly in Clojure, using Finagle and leveraging upon functional programming techniques and hexagonal architecture
- High throughput jobs and inter-service communication using Kafka
- Continuous Integration and Deployment into AWS
- Storing data in Datomic and DynamoDB
- Monitoring and observability with Prometheus
- Running as much as possible in Kubernetes
We are a process-light organization that values human interactions. We value working in small, independent teams that feel like small startups within the company, and avoid coupling and centralizing where realistic. We understand that execution is the key to success and optimizing processes to remove bottlenecks.
WHAT COULD YOU EXPECT FROM THIS ROLE? 👐🏽
- Work closely with the Data Platform engineers counterparts and take an active role as a co-owner of production services to ensure services are built, maintained, and operated in a reliable and scalable way.
- Collaborate with the Data Platform engineering teams to drive operational health improvements, root cause analysis, postmortem discussions, and their associated remediations that serve to improve reliability and sub-linearly scale operations.
- Partner with others to use tools, processes, and techniques to sub-linearly scale operations and reduce business risk, in areas that include: infrastructure and configuration management, deploys, capacity modeling and planning, and incident mitigation.
- Identify common patterns in challenges with operating services in production, and collaborate with the engineering chapter to design and implement reusable solutions and/or other multi-functional work that drives down the complexity, difficulty, costs, and risks of operating the business.
- Deep involvement with application services throughout the Software Development Lifecycle, serving as the local SRE domain specialist and point of contact. Through this involvement, you will gain a deep understanding of the technology stack, and be empowered to meaningfully contribute to design documents, code reviews, and other technical discussions.
WHAT ARE THE SKILLS REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION? 💥
- Experience managing, diagnosing and debugging large-scale distributed systems in production.
- Experience developing infrastructure, configurations, and deployment scripting and automation forlarge-scale/high complexity services in a microservice environment.
- Experience dealing with large datasets that inform your knowledge around building robust datapipelines and architectures.
- Experience using containerization software such as Mesos, Kubernetes, Docker, etc.
WHAT IS IN FOR YOU? 🚀
- Our compensation rates include USD Dollars and Equity
- NuCare - Our mental health and wellness assistance program
- NuLanguage - Our language learning program
- Extended Personal Time Off
- Extended maternity and paternity leaves
- Chance of earning equity at Nubank as part of your Performance Review
Interviewing and onboarding are currently done virtually due to COVID-19. Everyone new to the team and our current staff will remain working from home until it is safe to return to our offices. If/when relocation is required, we have a team dedicated to global mobility and have partnered up with the best companies in the market to make sure processes run smoothly.
We do not discriminate against any person based on race, color, ancestry, genetic information, national/regional or ethnic origin, citizenship status, religion, creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, maternity, marital or family status, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable local law.