Nubank was founded in 2013 to free people from a bureaucratic, slow and inefficient financial system. Since then, through innovative technology and outstanding customer service, the company has been redefining people's relationship with money across Latin America. With operations in Brazil, Mexico and Colombia, Nubank is today the largest digital banking platform in the world outside of Asia and one of the leading technology companies in the world, reinventing over 40 million customers' financial lives.
Nubank achieved this by offering a no-fee credit card, entirely managed by a mobile app, and a digital account, free of taxes. Nubank also offers transparent and hassle-free personal loans, a business account tailored for SMBs, and life insurance. In 2020, Nubank acquired digital broker Easynvest, now called Nu invest, and became the leader in self-directed digital investments in Brazil.
Throughout the years, Nubank raised around US$2 billion with some of the best-known growth and technology investors in the world, such as Berkshire Hathaway, Sequoia, DST, Tencent, Tiger, Kaszek, Founders Fund, Dragoneer, TCV, Redpoint, Ribbit, GIC, Whale Rock, Invesco, QED, and Capital Group.
Today, Nubank is a global company, with offices in São Paulo (Brazil), Mexico City (Mexico), Buenos Aires (Argentina), Bogotá (Colombia), Durham (United States) and Berlin (Germany). Nubank was founded in São Paulo by Colombian David Vélez, and cofounded by Brazilian Cristina Junqueira and American Edward Wible. For more information, visit www.nubank.com.br.
Our Model Risk team
At Nubank we heavily rely on data, machine learning and other quantitative models & techniques to drive our strategy and provide the best experience and products to our customers. The Model Risk team is the second line of defense for our models. Our mission is to ensure Nubank relies on world-class solutions that will lead to optimal and sustainable decisions. We act by providing independent review & challenge to models, staying tuned to cutting edge techniques, along with business and customers needs. We work to identify and control risks related to our models as well as to constantly improve the overall models landscape.
This is a senior individual contributor role that will require machine learning and analytics experience.
In this role, you will:
- Conduct independent reviews of quantitative models, based on various financial, statistical and machine learning techniques. Identify risks, provide effective challenge and seek for enhancement opportunities;
- Engage with other Data Scientists and Business Analysts to strengthen our decision making tools. Influence modeling practices across Nubank;
- Develop playbooks and toolkits (Python, Scala, Spark, SQL, etc.) to optimize models reviews and ongoing models monitoring;
- Discuss and report model risk status and independent opinions on models with different stakeholders, senior managers and regulators;
- Contribute to consolidate Nubank’s Model Risk Management framework with autonomy and creativity;
- Work in a multicultural, diverse and highly skilled environment. Collaborate and ensure the team maintains a high level of technical excellence.
Things you’ll need to thrive in this role:
- Experience developing or validating quantitative and/or machine learning models used to leverage decision-making processes or to solve relevant academic problems;
- Data Science skills, strong knowledge on machine learning tools and techniques;
- Interest in reviewing complex machine learning and other types of models to identify risks and opportunities;
- Strong programming skills, desirable previous experience with Python, SQL, GitHub, Spark, Scala. Ability to learn new programming languages in a short time frame;
- Desirable at least master degree or relevant undergraduate scientific project;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- English language proficiency;
- Experience in credit risk management and/or other risk management frameworks (stress testing, market & liquidity, etc.) is a plus.
São Paulo, Brazil.