Tackling the complex banking system to empower people in one of the world's most bureaucratic markets seems like a crazy idea, right? But that's why, how, and where Nubank was born. We fight complexity through our transparent and straightforward products and experiences: a no-fee credit card, a rewards program, a lending platform, and a digital savings account. In a nutshell, we are the most innovative tech company in Latin America, and we are obsessed with building financial services and products that make our customers love us fanatically. With over 30 million customers and $1 billion raised in investment rounds, we are the fastest growing digital bank in the world, with offices in Brazil, Germany, Mexico, Colombia, and Argentina. And it's still only Day One for us!
Our Model Risk team
At Nubank we heavily rely on data, machine learning and other quantitative models & techniques to drive our strategy and provide the best experience and products to our customers. The Model Risk team is the second line of defense for our models. Our mission is to ensure Nubank relies on world-class solutions that will lead to optimal and sustainable decisions. We act by providing independent review & challenge to models, staying tuned to cutting edge techniques, along with business and customers needs. We work to identify and control risks related to our models as well as to constantly improve the overall models landscape.
This is a senior individual contributor role that will require machine learning and analytics experience.
In this role, you will:
- Conduct independent reviews of quantitative models based on various financial, statistical and machine learning techniques, with stronger focus on credit.
- Provide effective challenge to models and modelling processes, identify risks & opportunities and engage with other Data Scientists and Business Analysts to strengthen our decision making tools and capabilities.
- Develop playbooks and toolkits (Python, SQL, Scala, etc.) to optimize models reviews, on-going monitoring, and assess the impact of models in decisions.
- Contribute to the construction of Nubank's Model Risk Management and Model Review processes with autonomy and creativity.
- Discuss and report model risk status and independent opinions with different stakeholders, including senior managers and regulators.
- Be exposed to different types of decisions and processes (e.g. credit, fraud, operations and in different countries)
- Ensure the team maintains a high level of technical excellence.
- Work in a multicultural, diverse and highly skilled environment.
Things you'll need to thrive in this role:
- Experience developing or validating quantitative and/or machine learning models used to leverage important decision-making processes or to solve relevant academic problems.
- Interest in reviewing complex machine learning and other types of models to identify risks and propose enhancements.
- Data Science skills, strong knowledge on machine learning tools and techniques.
- Strong programming skills, desirable previous experience with Python, Scala, SQL, GitHub.
- Ability to learn fast and independently, strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Organized and detail-oriented, without losing track of the big picture.
- English language proficiency.
- Experience in credit risk management and/or other risk management frameworks is a plus.
- Health, dental and life insurances
- Meal allowance
- Transportation assistance
- 30 days of paid vacation
- Chance of earning equity at Nubank
- Parking partnership - discounted parking in our office
- Free bike parking with showers available
- NuCare - Our mental health and wellness assistance program
- NuLanguage - Our language learning program
- Gympass partnership
- Extended maternity and paternity Leaves
- Child care allowance
- ‘Espaço Feijão’- Private nursing and breastfeeding spaces in our buildings
- Onsite Health Center - Medical support for every Nubanker in our office
Diversity and Inclusion at Nubank
We want to have a product for every Brazilian, and we build strong and diverse teams that rise up to the challenge. We are a team of the most creative people in technology, and we hire under equal opportunity, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or background. We are proud to say that 30% of Nubanker recognize themselves as part of the LGBTQ+ community, and 40% of our team identify as women, in all positions and seniority levels. We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions, and that is a very important part of our culture. At Nubank, everyone has the opportunity to speak up and participate, grow and share ideas.
Nubank continues to hire for all open roles, all interviewing and onboarding is done virtually due to COVID-19. Everyone new to the team and our current staff will remain working from home until it is safe to return to our offices.