Nubank was born from a simple idea: everyone should have control over their own money. We enable millions of Latin Americans to live better by freeing our customers from a bureaucratic, slow, and inefficient traditional banking system. With operations in Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, and offices in Argentina, Germany, and the United States, Nubank is the world's largest independent digital bank, reinventing over 40 million customers' financial lives.
Nubank achieved this by offering a no-fee credit card, entirely managed by a mobile app and currently used by about 23.5 million people, and a digital account, free of taxes, held by about 36 million Brazilians. Nubank also offers transparent and hassle-free personal loans, a benefits program with points that don't expire, a business account tailored for SMBs, and life insurance. In 2020, Nubank acquired digital broker Easynvest and became the leader in self-directed digital investments in Brazil.
Throughout the years, Nubank raised around US$2 billion with some of the best-known growth and technology investors in the world, such as Sequoia, DST, Tencent, Tiger, Kaszek, Founders Fund, Dragoneer, TCV, Redpoint, Ribbit, GIC, Whale Rock, Invesco and QED.
Nubank was elected by TIME as one of the most influential companies in the world and by CNBC as one of the most disrupting ones. Forbes magazine ranked Nubank as the best bank in Brazil -- and one of the best in the world -- for three years in a row, 2019, 2020, and 2021. Fast Company magazine named Nubank the most innovative company in Latin America and as the most valuable challenger bank by CBInsights.
Engineering at Nubank
We strive for state-of-the-art software development practices that currently include a variety of technologies. While we value candidates that are familiar with them, we are also confident that software engineers who are interested in joining Nubank will be able to learn from our team.
- Horizontally scalable microservices written mostly in Clojure, using Finagle and leveraging upon functional programming techniques and hexagonal architecture
- High throughput jobs and inter-service communication using Kafka
- Continuous Integration and Deployment into AWS
- Storing data in Datomic and DynamoDB
- Monitoring and observability with Prometheus
- Running as much as possible in Kubernetes
- Developing great mobile experiences in Flutter
We are a process-light organization that values human interactions. We value working in small, independent teams that feel like small startups within the company, and eschew coupling and centralizing where realistic. We understand that execution is the key to success and optimize processes to remove bottlenecks.
You can read more about it in our blog and get some insights into how we work.
As a manager in Engineering, you'll be expected to
- Build or scale up one or more software engineering teams
- Foster a culture of teamwork, feedback and continuous improvement
- Conduct effective 1:1s, team meetings and rituals
- Manage engineers, enabling them to be high performers and provide support, autonomy and develop others, to pursue the highest performance
- Deliver distributed systems at scale
- Align stakeholders around team’s vision, goals, and metrics
- Reason about software architecture design decisions
- Look and implement improvements in the way we work and organize
Once here, you will
- Coach and mentor engineers and managers alike, supporting their growth and performance inside the teams they are part of
- Facilitate continuous improvement of team’s processes
- Ensure the team follows good development processes, is aligned internally and with stakeholders, and consistently delivers quality software
- Ensure the team maintains a high level of operational excellence
- Actively drive and improve recruitment
- Foster psychological safety and facilitate conflict resolution and performance issues
We are looking for a professional who has
- Solid experience leading Engineering teams, ideally with a background as a software engineer
- Experience being accountable for people management, having exposure to performance assessment, hiring, supporting career growth, etc.
- Experience leading agile teams, being familiar with the most relevant ceremonies, metrics and processes
- A good level of technical understanding, being able to take part in architecture discussions with Engineers and to translate complex, technical projects and concepts for non-engineers.
- Health and life insurance
- Dental and vision plans
- 15 days of paid vacations with 25% bonus
- Aguinaldo (30 days)
- Yearly performance-based bonus in Restricted Stock Units
- NuLanguage - Our language learning program
- Extended maternity and paternity leaves
- Physical location amenities
- Food card
Diversity and Inclusion at Nubank
We want to have a product for everyone, and we build strong and diverse teams that rise to the challenge. We are a team of the most creative people in technology, and we hire under equal opportunity, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or background. We are proud to say that 28% of Nubanker recognize themselves as part of the LGBTQ+ community, and 41% of our team comprises women in all positions and seniority levels, also 23% of Nubankers self-declare as Black or Brown. We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions, and that is an essential part of our culture. At Nubank, everyone has the opportunity to speak up and participate, grow, and share ideas.