Nubank is the leading financial technology company in Latin America. Its first product, launched in 2014, is a no-fee credit card that is fully managed by a mobile app. Almost 30 million people have requested the product since launch, and the company has passed the 15 million customer mark. In 2017, Nubank launched its proprietary loyalty rewards program ("Nubank Rewards"), as well as a digital account ("NuConta") that is already used by 12 million people. This year, the company began testing its personal loan service and took its first steps in international expansion, opening offices in Mexico and Argentina. To date, Nubank has raised around US$ 420 million in seven equity investment rounds from Sequoia Capital, Kaszek Ventures, Tiger Global Management, QED, Founders Fund, DST Global, Redpoint Ventures, Ribbit Capital, Dragoneer Investment Group, Thrive Capital and Tencent. Recently, Nubank was elected as the most innovative company in Latin America and ranked no. 36 on Fast Company’s 50 Most Innovative Companies ranking.
About the Berlin team
Nubank’s Berlin office hosts the data platform team. We’ve built a self-service data processing platform from scratch that empowers everyone at our company to build, process, and query datasets that help push forward their work. Our main users include data analysts, data scientists, backend and data engineers. The team is focused on building well thought out and documented user APIs, backed by scalable data ingestion, processing, and serving systems. We make heavy use of the standard Nubank tech suite (Clojure et. al.), but since we are responsible for the data processing pipeline, you’ll also find Scala, Python, Spark, Mesos, Aurora, and Airflow in heavy use.
You can read more about it in our engineering blog and get some insights into how we work here.
You will do well on our team if you are a Software Engineer that is curious, enthusiastic, versatile, eager to learn, proactive, and humble. You will have a chance to shape the architecture, process, and culture of our team in a meaningful way, while also working with cutting edge technologies.
While experience is an important factor, our team is primarily interested in engineers with an itch to deepen their understandings and a desire to be a contributing part of our collective. For such candidates, experience plays little barrier and we are looking forward to offering mentorship opportunities. When you join, you’ll have the opportunity to on-board in Sao Paulo with our engineering team there. When back in Berlin, you’ll pair with engineers from each of our sub-teams to get situated; helping you get a feel for the challenges we work on and which team you’d like to be a part of.
Successful applicants generally exhibit:
- An interest in the ideas behind functional programming
- Exposure to backend software development
- Attention towards testing and code quality
- The ability to break down large problems into smaller components
Bonus points for experience with:
- Microservices architecture and RESTful API oriented design
- Clojure and/or Scala, be it professional or hobby
- Inter-service asynchronous communication
- Continuous integration and deployment. We use tools like AWS, Kubernetes, CircleCI, and GoCD
- An interest in the trade-offs between different persistent stores. We use DynamoDB, S3, and Datomic quite a bit
- Monitoring and observability. Prometheus, Grafana, and Splunk are our go-to’s
You will do well if
- You thrive in a dynamic environment where you help define priorities
- You are hungry and enjoy being constantly challenged to learn and accomplish more
- You embrace conflict of ideas and like to question the status quo
- You learn fast and easily adapt to changing situations
- You want to understand the big picture, to be held accountable and make a meaningful contribution with your work
- 28 days of vacation
- Competitive compensation package, including the opportunity to earn equity ownership in Nubank
- Wellness and learning benefit
- Flexible hours
- Possibility of yearly travel to our Latin American offices
- Relocation assistance (when outside of Berlin)
Diversity and Inclusion
We want to build products and experiences for everyone who wants to take back control over their finances, that's why we build strong and diverse teams that rise up to the challenge. We are a team of the most creative people in technology, and we hire under equal opportunity, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or background. We are proud to say that 30% of our team recognize themselves as part of the LGBTQ+ community, and 40% of our team identify as women, in all positions and seniority levels. We are a very process-light organization that values human interactions, and that is a very important part of our culture. At Nu, everyone has the opportunity to speak up and participate, grow and share ideas.