MeetElise is on a mission to revolutionize the housing industry, with the ultimate goal of making good housing more accessible.
Access to affordable housing isn’t just a problem - it’s a global crisis. An estimated seven million affordable and available rental homes are needed in just the US alone, and no amount of government spending or policy have proven to be effective solutions.
MeetElise uses machine learning to address the underlying cause preventing significant advancements in affordable housing: operational costs. By automating the leasing and management of apartment homes, we’re creating a new, low cost operating model that allows for the development of new housing at scale.
Our first product is an AI leasing agent named Elise that converts 65% more prospective renters to residents than a human leasing agent. She answers questions and schedules tours 24/7 and is so human-like that renters say they’re “here to meet Elise” when they show up for a tour.
MeetElise is well-funded by VCs, strategic real estate investors, and customers and was started by technical cofounders from MIT and the University of Cambridge.
Our small, courageous team is building the future we want to live in. A future where housing is affordable, powered by technology, and accessible to all.
About the role
Reporting to the CFO, the Controller will manage accounting, reporting, financial operations, and related matters. MeetElise is establishing its in-house Finance department with the goal of building a world-class team that powers the company’s growth by supporting other business functions and providing visibility into business performance. As one of the first hires of the department, the Controller will play a critical role in building the team, designing the systems, and executing on a daily basis to achieve that goal. The position will be based at our headquarters in New York City.
- Manage accounting, reporting, and treasury functions (includes revenue recognition, AR, AP, general ledger, reconciliations, expense recognition and management, etc.)
- Create processes for and ensure timely financial closings
- Establish and maintain meaningful and effective SaaS metrics and KPIs
- Manage monthly/quarterly/annual financial and KPI reporting, including Board reporting
- Design and manage internal controls to ensure the highest standards of compliance are met and that all financial information is accurate
- Oversee and optimize billing and collections. Ensure processes are efficient and fair
- Manage cash reconciliation reports and process, manage cash flow forecasting
- Manage banking relationships
- Manage timely and effective annual external audit
- Manage relationships with external tax advisors and ensure all tax filings/payments are completed in an accurate and timely manner
- Assist with the design, vendor selection, implementation, and maintenance of an effective finance software environment (ERP/accounting, AR/AP, expense management, automation)
- Work closely with other departments and systems to ensure effective integration of data and processes across the enterprise (e.g., sales team and SFDC, marketing, FP&A)
- Hire and manage a high-quality, capable, lean, and efficient team
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or equivalent qualification
- Bachelor’s degree required; major in accounting, finance, economics, mathematics, or a related field preferred
- 10+ years of relevant experience in accounting; public accounting experience preferred; high-growth enterprise SaaS experience preferred; experience as a Controller preferred
- Strong knowledge of accounting and finance principles, including US GAAP and accounting topics relevant to enterprise SaaS companies
- Experience managing successful external audit processes for companies
- Experience managing banking, tax advisor, and other external relationships
- Detailed experience with QuickBooks and at least one more “advanced” ERP/accounting platform (e.g., NetSuite)
- Experience with selecting and implementing ERP/accounting, AR/AP, FP&A, and/or automation software preferred
- Experience integrating finance systems with Salesforce and other enterprise systems preferred
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, and Google Suite
- Experience with and interest in building and mentoring a team. Understanding of how to identify and hire talent, how to effectively manage and mentor
- Entrepreneurial and proactive. Looking for creative ways to make the team better and improve processes. Looking to take on responsibility
- Direct and clear communicator, both written and verbal. Not afraid to speak up
- Ability to work for a small team in a fast-paced environment - flexible, adaptable, willing to get hands dirty, collaborative
Growth and impact.
You’ll be learning and shipping constantly.
You’ll be significantly changing how the housing industry works today with the ultimate goal of creating more housing opportunities.
It’s not often that you can get in on the ground floor of a funded startup that’s scaling. Every single day you will be challenged to identify how we can scale and execute on it. You’ll learn what works when you succeed and what doesn’t when you fail. Either way, the rest of the team will be here to support you. Collectively, we’ll be figuring out the path to serving millions of apartments.
In addition to the growth and impact you’ll have at MeetElise, we also want to make sure that you’re set up for success and financially compensated for your contributions.
- Top of market salary and stock options
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 401k benefits
- Unlimited vacation
- Monthly fitness stipend
- Flexible working hours - we look at output, not hours.
We'll cover relocation packages from outside of the Greater NYC metro area - we'll make the move exciting, not painful.