Horace Mann strives to have a significant positive impact on America’s educational community, our employees and the communities where we live and work. We know that to be successful as a company, we need the help of engaged, committed employees.
We are seeking Senior Counsel to join our team. The Senior Counsel will report to the Vice President, Assistant General Counsel for the Company’s Worksite Division and will manage responsibilities of the Law Division as assigned. The Senior Counsel will also provide support to other senior members of the legal and business teams. Candidates should be currently licensed to practice law in Texas or Illinois (or have the ability to become licensed in either jurisdiction within six months of hire) and have at least 3 to 7 years of experience in the insurance and financial services industry.
We have a strong preference for attorneys with experience in supplemental insurance products (such as cancer, hospital, and heart) and group products (such as short term and long term disability), as well as those with a background in transactional, contract, and corporate governance work. Ideal candidates will also have a combination of law firm and in-house experience, with both solid legal acumen and the desire to foster and build strong business relationships with the Company’s business leaders.
- Providing legal counsel and support to the Worksite Division including:
- Responding to market conduct examinations and other regulatory inquiries
- Reviewing training materials and regulatory complaints
- Providing claims and coverage counseling
- Providing guidance and legal advice concerning product development, distribution, and related internal operations
- Providing counsel on compliance matters
- Providing legal counsel, as needed, in the following areas:
- Data privacy and security matters
- Commercial contracts, including agreements procuring software and other technology-related licenses and services
- General corporate matters, including M&A work
- Corporate governance matters
- Advising on complex legal matters by utilizing legal expertise and strategic thinking to assess risk and recommend effective and appropriate solutions
- Influencing cross-functional decision-making by collaborating with internal partners to help guide development of company policies and best practices
- Creating a positive environment by modeling cultural expectations and guiding leaders to reward performance, accountability, diversity and inclusion, flexibility, continuous improvement, collaboration, and creativity
- Effectively managing resources by anticipating expenditures and accurately forecasting resource needs/costs
- Juris Doctor from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association
- Must be currently licensed to practice law in Texas or Illinois (or have the ability to become licensed in either jurisdiction within six months of hire)
- Minimum three (3) to seven (7) years broad-based, relevant legal experience
- A strong desire to learn and assume ownership of highly complex, sometimes novel, legal issues
- Excellent analytical, organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to provide top-quality, proactive, accurate and effective legal support in a fast-moving environment
- Ability to effectively work with management and other personnel
- Combination of law firm and in-house legal department experience preferred
- Ability to travel to and work in the Addison, TX office up to 3 days per week, with occasional travel (10-15%) outside of Texas required
Horace Mann was founded in 1945 by two Springfield, Illinois, teachers who saw a need for quality, affordable auto insurance for teachers. Since then, we’ve broadened our mission to helping all educators protect what they have today and prepare for a successful tomorrow. And with our broadened mission has come corporate growth: We serve more than 4,100 school districts nationwide, we’re publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol: HMN) and we have more than $12 billion in assets.
We’re motivated by the fact that educators take care of our children’s future, and we believe they deserve someone to look after theirs. We help educators identify their financial goals and develop plans to achieve them. This includes insurance to protect what they have today and financial products to help them prepare for their future. Our tailored offerings include special rates and benefits for educators.
EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status
For applicants that are California residents, please review our California Consumer Privacy Notice