GumGum is a global technology and media company specializing in contextual intelligence. For over a decade, we have applied our proven machine learning expertise to extract value from digital content for the advertising industry. The company’s contextual advertising engine, Verity™, comprehends the meaning of text, images and video online, allowing marketers to safely and precisely place ads where people are most engaged. Combining that contextual targeting and brand safety intelligence with proprietary high-impact ad formats, GumGum’s advertising solutions deliver industry leading efficiency, accuracy and performance.
The Ad Server development team is responsible for the technical operations of our Ad Server technology. The Ad Server software receives 30 million requests per minute and is a highly distributed java web service. This role works with product owners and the engineering team to deliver on priorities for the Advertising business division. Our team currently uses technologies such as Java, Spring, MySQL, Kafka, Dynamodb, ScyllaDb, Redis etc.
The role works with highly engaged internal customers to make a significant impact on a key revenue stream for the business. This role will maximize efficiency and scalability of our advertising server systems.
Please note, GumGum is only open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and MN.
- Ad Server Technical Execution
- Design high volume, high traffic web services written in Java, orchestrated with Spring and using data from Scylla(Cassandra) and DynamoDB.
- Engage in technical architecture discussions, solve ambiguous problems, and execute on a solution with a team of engineers across ad server, data, and web engineering
- Come up with algorithms to optimize KPIs such as viewability, CTR, Revenue, costs etc.
- Improve performance of the Ad Server - reduce latency and reduce AWS cost
- Setup integrations with Supply and demand side partners
- Product Development and Project Management
- Collaborate with Product and internal stakeholders to identify, prioritize and develop new features and improvements for our products, as well as provide support for any stakeholder issues
- Work with other Engineering teams, ensuring requirements are considered and met for cross team projects
- B.S. in Computer Science preferred or equivalent experience.
- Experience in a high volume transaction system > 100k transactions/second
- 2-5 years of experience as a developer with understanding of programming languages, preferably Java and Spring Framework
- A history of successfully shipping products into production
- Excellent communication skills and demonstrated ability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Experience working with AWS and distributed systems such as Kafka, DynamoDb or equivalent
- Experience with RDBMS systems.
- An understanding of Real Time Bidding protocol RTB
- Experience with Git, Gradle, and CI/CD delivery pipelines
- Organized self-starter with proactive attitude
- Critical thinker, able to break down complex problems and work with ambiguity
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health, vision and dental benefits
- Healthcare including 100% coverage for Employee + Spouse/family
- Dependent care FSA
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- Stock incentive program (role dependent)
- Paid parental leave
- Goodly - student loan contribution plan
- WFH monthly stipend
- Anniversary recognition and awards
- Fitness reimbursement and wellness workshops
- Discounted Pet Health Program
- Flexible time off and work schedule
- Dog-friendly HQ office - we love our fur babies! Check us out on Instagram @dogsofgumgum
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- A team that has transitioned to remote work impressively, and remains highly collaborative and connected
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Team building lunches and events, and monthly company celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- The VOICE Coalition - Through our council committee, The VOICE Coalition’s mission is to build an equitable, supportive, and inclusive culture where all voices are heard and all differences are celebrated through thoughtful, engaging, and authentic programming and community involvement. We’ve created awareness and appreciation for our employees through Hispanic Heritage month, Women of GumGum, Asian Pacific American, GG Pride, etc.
Return to office: Our big vision for our futuristic “Farmhouses” in 2022!
- Offices will now be referred to as the “GumGum Farmhouse” -- a futuristic space centered around a bigger purpose: flexibility, sustainability, community, and growth!
- GumGum will continue to be a flexible/remote-friendly environment, however, offices will re-open in 2022 for any employees who choose to come in to collaborate, participate in an event, host your clients, contribute to our growing of plants/herbs/vegetables/etc.
Thoughtful…We listen to understand different perspectives, show everyone respect, and relentlessly seek solutions for our clients (internal and external)
Agility…We are quick, nimble, and change direction gracefully, while maintaining control.
Grit…We bring energy and perseverance to everything we do.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award in 2021 by BuiltInLA, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work in 2020 and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creativeand collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed. Check us out on Instagram: @gumgum