Brunswick is a strategic advisory firm focused on critical issues. Our purpose is to help the great value-creating organizations of the world play a more successful role in society.
We advise on critical issues at the center of business, politics and society, and help our clients – the leaders of large, complex organizations – understand and navigate these interconnected worlds.
Brunswick is one firm globally, operating as a single profit center. This allows us to respond seamlessly and effectively to clients’ needs wherever they are in the world.
Founded in London in 1987, Brunswick’s global partnership has grown organically to 27 offices in 17 countries. We began as a M&A and financial communications firm and, over time, expanded our capabilities and expertise to advising clients on multi-stakeholder engagement in crisis and other business critical issues. We invested in new offices, sectors and a wider variety of offers for clients such as public and regulatory affairs, major litigation, business and society, cyber, employee engagement and digital.
We rank number 1 in the world over the last five years by global deal value and global deal volume and were named Band 1 advisors in the U.S. and the UK earlier this year by Chambers and Partners, the legal rankings service, as one of the very top communications firms offering legal and litigation support work.
Our CEO is Neal Wolin, based in Washington, D.C. Our Chairman is Sir Alan Parker, based in London.
About Brunswick’s Japan Business
Brunswick has been advising on Japan-related issues for over a decade and today has a team of Japan specialists which spans Asia, Europe and the Americas. The firm helps many of Japan’s leading businesses to navigate critical situations such as crisis, M&A, activist campaigns, restructuring and litigation, including engaging effectively with institutional investors, regulators, the media, employees, shareholder activists, NGOs and other key audiences. Brunswick also helps many multi-national corporates to engage effectively in high-stakes situations with key audiences and stakeholders in Japan.
Brunswick formally opened its Tokyo office in 2020. Today, the global team comprises more than 20 multi-lingual, Japan specialists with diverse backgrounds who provide seamless, around-the-clock advice and support for clients in intense situations.
Brunswick Group is seeking an Associate to join the team in our Tokyo office. Associates advise clients and drive execution on accounts, focusing on delivery of workstreams and proactive development of ideas. Our Associates should be nurturing a wide internal network across offices and specialisms to share, develop and deliver the best examples of work for internal and external use; as well as broadening their external network. Our Associates are expected to convince media, shareholders and other stakeholders of our client’s point of view in critical situations and – through strong relationships with clients – explain how this is being achieved.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Advise clients and drive execution on accounts, focusing on delivery of workstreams.
- Work with Partners and Directors on the management of client deliverables, always serve as day-to-day client liaison showing excellent judgment, and leading and guiding junior team members.
- Provide relevant insight, guidance, and advice to clients facing highly complex challenges, including financial, crisis, and reputational issues.
- Maintain and demonstrate awareness of broad sector and industry trends affecting clients, particularly board, management, or financial issues.
- Manage the development of key client documents by playing a vital role through the drafting, editing, and review process.
- Plan and execute client announcements and events as a project manager. Illustrative responsibilities include:
- Strategic communications plan development.
- Preparation and coordination of strategic communications documents including talking points, Q&As, day-of rollouts, media backgrounders, etc.
- Oversee research assignments; work with junior team members to distill large amounts of information into impactful and concise points
Networking and Marketing
- Play integral role in marketing and new business process; manage RFPs and participate in pitch preparation.
- Develop relationships with the analyst and investor community to understand issues and priorities
- Proactively build a network locally to identify new business prospects and media contacts
- Dedicate time and effort to building a network within Brunswick across our global offices, and with talent referrals who might enrich and strengthen the Brunswick team
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 7-10+ years of relevant work experience in an advisory role for advising clients facing highly complex challenges, including financial, crisis, and reputational issues.
- Ability to understand and analyze companies’ business and financial strategies.
- Act as project oversight for a project on select topic. Owns project process, content, day-to-day client interactions and delegation of work to junior team. Equally capable to “roll up sleeves” to deliver flawless execution.
- Experience managing teams and mentoring junior staff.
- Strong problem-solving skills, including the ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Ability to operate effectively in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional English and Japanese written and verbal communication ability.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to multitask in high-pressure situations.
- Discretion with confidential client matters.
- A rising advisor with experience counseling clients on business-critical issues (e.g. crisis, M&A, financial situations etc.)
- Effective manager with a desire to mentor and willingness to train junior staff
- Excellent communicator with professional polish and strong emotional intelligence.
- Driven and curious high performer with entrepreneurial and collaborative spirit.
Building a Diverse, Equal and Inclusive Team
We are committed to embedding a culture and working environment that actively promotes diversity and inclusion and safeguards against discrimination and unfavorable treatment of our people in all aspects of employment including recruitment, promotion and training opportunities.
We recognise the differences that a diverse workforce can bring. We believe that we’re stronger and can serve our clients better when we draw upon the combined strength of all of our employees and we are committed to encouraging a working climate that respects and promotes equality.
We have a responsibility to ensure that there is no unlawful discrimination and that equal opportunities are available for all of our people