Viator is the world's leading resource for researching and booking unforgettable travel experiences, providing access to more than 50,000 tours, attractions and activities in more than 2,500 destinations spanning 170+ countries. Viator flagship website www.viator.com offers travelers a one-stop shop to plan, research and book trip activities with resources including more than 1 million verified traveler reviews and photos, the Viator Travel Blog, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube sites. Viator industry-leading mobile apps (www.viator.com/apps) make it easy to browse and book on the road.
Founded in 1995, Viator sells its products directly to consumers at Viator.com, the Viator apps for iOS and Android, 11 local-language sites throughout Europe, Asia and South America, and through its global network of more than 3,000 affiliates that include major hotel and airline companies, online travel agencies, city-specific sites and more. Through its collection of company operated and affiliated sites, Viator welcomes 18 million visitors per month.
Viator is headquartered in San Francisco with regional offices in Sydney, London and Las Vegas. Viator is part of the TripAdvisor family of companies.
Viator, a TripAdvisor Company, is looking for an experienced Senior Accountant to join our team. We are looking for a highly motivated, technically proficient person with a strong sense of ownership and business ethics, to deliver and analyse the financial accounts on a monthly/quarterly basis.
Under the supervision of the Director of Accounting, the Senior Accountant will be responsible for monthly entries and reconciliations, monthly accounting close, producing and distributing monthly financial/ budget variance commentary, maintaining internal controls and procedures, as well as assisting with the annual financial audit.
The ideal candidate will have strong initiative to identify opportunities for improvement as well as design and implement those improvements. You will play an integral part in establishing and implementing financial processes, ensuring monthly financial statements are available to management within a reasonable time frame, and helping the company navigate through its financial transition.
- Accounts, tracks, monitors and files appropriate compliance reports to federal, state, and local entities to ensure company adherence to laws and regulations.
- Evaluate the adequacy of the design and operational effectiveness of the Company's internal controls and processes through walk throughs, testing of controls and continuous monitoring of control compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley, reporting results to all levels of Company personnel.
- Play a leadership role in designing and implementing accounting processes and procedures to ensure a high degree of completeness and accuracy of the financial statements.
- SOX compliance, risk assessment and internal audit. Support the Sarbanes-Oxley documentation and testing for key balance sheet and income statement accounts
- Basic tax responsibilities which include:
o Prepare tax entries and related notes for financial reports.
o Working closely with the Company’s outside tax advisors with information needed to prepare the income tax returns.
o Responsible for USA, AUS and UK indirect tax compliance for the company and ensuring that statutory indirect tax returns are completed on time.
o Assisting with the reconciliation of transaction tax general ledger accounts.
o Preparation and payment of FBT, IAS and BAS (including GST)
- Coordinate with HR Department on relevant payroll issues surrounding new hires, leave of absence, salary changes and resolve discrepancies between payroll deductions and benefit information to reconcile the appropriate GL accounts.
- Proactively identify, develop, and implement process improvements, documenting desktop procedures to achieve efficiencies and scalability.
- Function as a utility player, able to pick up ad-hoc requests and projects to accommodate our rapid growth
- Assist the FP&A, and SEC Reporting teams with monthly and quarterly revenue analysis and schedules.
- Work with FP&A to help analyse and document balance sheet and income statement variances.
- Assist in external audit including the year-end audit process.
- Help establish and maintain policies and procedures.
- Serve as back up for other Finance Department functions.
- Ability to work well as part of a team or independently with minimal supervision.
- Proactively identify issues and areas for improvement.
- Participate in the implementation of a new ERP.
- Act as a mentor to junior team members.
- Supervise and review junior accountant workings.
- Collaborate with business and FP&A to understand budget implications and implement planning strategy for accounting issues.
- Actively participate in the month-end close process, owning preparation of journal entries, balance sheet and income statement reconciliations and analysis.
- Ensures accounting teams commitment to timely and accurate processing of accounting transactions in accordance with GAAP, Sarbanes Oxley and internal controls.
- Collaborate with FP&A and other cross-functional departments to ensure completeness of operating expenses.
- Reconcile general ledger accounts on a monthly basis including VAT, GST, accruals, deferrals, accounts payable, payroll liabilities, and other assets and liabilities.
- Manage payroll processes with third party providers.
- Prepare monthly payrolls for gross to net calculations with partners.
- Ensure timely funding for employee payments and remittance to third parties (taxes, benefits, etc.).
- Payroll audit and compliance, including benefit audits and workers’ compensation, corporate audits and SOX compliance.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Tertiary qualifications in an accounting discipline with CA or CPA qualifications and a minimum of 5 years proven experience in accounting.
- Strong understanding of SEC filing requirements and GAAP accounting concepts required.
- Experience in SOX control documentation / execution.
- Accounting ERP experience required, preferably Workday.
- Self-starter with the ability to prioritize effectively and work well colleagues across businesses and geographies in a high growth environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, including complex formulas, is mandatory for success in this role.
- Hands on experience in the financial close process
- Experience in environments with high transaction volume required
- Experience creating and implementing financial policies and/or procedures
- Must have experience preparing and reconciling the following accounts: accruals, deferrals payroll, fixed assets and other assets.
- Superior work paper organization, attention to detail, ability to quickly synthesize and analyse data required.
- Ability to break down complex issues and tailor communication style to a range of audiences, including non-accountants, and to clearly articulate ideas, solutions and conclusions to stakeholders.
- Positive, proactive, team-focused attitude and desire to do whatever it takes are essential.
- Strong organizational, leadership, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.