Viator’s mission is to bring more wonder into the world. To bring extraordinary, unexpected, and forever-memorable experiences to more people, more often, wherever they’re traveling, wherever they are. In doing so, Viator elevates thousands of businesses, large and small, along the way.
With Viator, they’ve experienced the best of the world’s oldest cities, and rediscovered their hometowns through new eyes. They’ve faced their fears zip lining across the jungles of Costa Rica, hot air ballooning above Turkey’s Cappadocia, and trekking through the glaciers of New Zealand. Over wine-tasting and walking tours, they’ve reunited with family and friends after COVID-enforced separations.
We’re the largest marketplace of our kind: a single place where travellers can book more than 300,000 tours, experiences, and activities.
We’re used by millions of travellers to find everything from walking tours and wineries, to cooking classes and catamarans, to sailing and spelunking, to bus tours and breweries. Our hundreds of thousands of experiences are in nearly every country around the world. And our team is international, too. We have people in Singapore, Sydney, Oxford, London, Lisbon, Reykjavik, Boston, San Francisco, Krakow and more.
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) combines software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, distributed, fault-tolerant systems. SRE ensures that Viator's services—both our internally critical and our externally-visible systems—have reliability, uptime appropriate to users' needs and a fast rate of improvement. Additionally SRE’s will keep an ever-watchful eye on our systems capacity and performance. Much of our software development focuses on optimising existing systems, building infrastructure and eliminating work through automation.
What you will do
The Viator Engineering Platform Team is seeking an experienced Senior Software Engineer with a blend of software engineering and systems engineering skills.
In this role you be part of the Site Reliability (SRE) team interacting with all feature and platform teams to deliver solutions that ensure availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring, emergency response, and capacity planning of our services and applications.
- 4+ years experience working as a software or systems engineer.
- Confidence to participate in technical discussions.
- Experience with observability tooling.
- Demonstrated experience developing AWS or other cloud native applications, scripting (shell or python) and commercial use of Java are a plus.
- Deep understanding of scaling solutions both on infrastructure level and architectural level.
- The ability to guide and mentor other members within the team and improve the way we collaborate, learn, and share ideas.
- Documentation and internal team members alignment; therefore strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
Nice to haves
- Experience as a Site Reliability Engineer.
- Experience with high availability systems.
- Experience in production infrastructure.
- Experience troubleshooting and debugging distributed systems.
- Experience with mobile development and application deployment.
- Understanding of distributed computing systems.
- Collaborate with a team of software and systems engineers, including iteration and task planning.
- Manage end-to-end availability, performance of services, and build automation to prevent problem recurrence.
- Participate in an on-call rotation.
- Work with other engineering teams to reuse and understand existing frameworks.
Create, drive, and deliver service level objectives that enable product reliability.
- Desire to learn about new technologies and industry best practises, and to continuously improve
- Team player and someone who recognises the power of a group over individual
- A love of travel
What you'll get
Highly competitive salary along with the following:
- Annual performance related bonus
- Generous stock (RSU) award upon joining, with additional awards annually
- Regular salary reviews and excellent career growth opportunities
- Very flexible working hours
- Free meals in the office
- Starting from 1104€ annual stipend for costs outside the office such as gym membership or home office set up
- Full family private healthcare and dental
- Excellent contributory pension
- Critical illness and full life cover
- Standard 22 days paid holiday (not including bank holidays)
- Holiday break during the last week of the year
- "Summer Fridays" scheme allowing extra days off during the summer
- Daily meal allowance of 8.80€ per working day
- Access to LinkedIn Learning platform
- 30 minute call with a recruiter to learn more about the role
- 30 minute technical interview with someone from the Viator Platform Engineering team
- Four one-hour interviews with members of the team, covering technical topics - including some coding - and what you would bring to Viator
We strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please make sure to reach out to your individual recruiter or our team at email@example.com.