TripAdvisor, the world’s largest and most trusted travel media site, is looking for a Software Engineer to help build and manage our data analytics environment, which currently contains over 1.5PB of data. We expect this environment to grow considerably over the next year which presents many interesting operational challenges to the team.
- Design, develop and operate scalable analytic solutions using Hadoop, Hive, Kafka, spark, and other open source NoSql and big data technologies
- Monitor and improve our data quality by filtering and classifying the data, as well as tracing aberrant data back to its source and fixing the root cause
- Design data in such a way to promote efficient and flexible later mining and visualization
- Debug, remedy, and create automated solutions for operational issues in the production environment
- Research, design, and implement new technologies for scaling our growing data sets and processing pipelines, for performance improvement and for analyst and developer workload reduction
• BS or MS in Computer Science or related technical field
• Strong understanding of data structures and algorithms
• Experience with data analysis; able to both write sophisticated SQL queries and interpret the results
• 5+ years of strong experience with at least one statically typed, object-oriented language (such as Java, C++, or C#) and one scripting language (such as Perl, Ruby, or Python)
• Organized, good attention to details, and able to work independently
• Comfortable in a fast-paced operations environment with frequent interruptions
• Strong written and verbal communications in English
• Experience installing and operating Linux or UNIX servers and applications in a 24/7 production environment
• Familiarity with a data visualization suite such as Tableau or the like
• Operational familiarity with relational databases such as Postgres, MySql, or MS SQL Server
• Experience with performance tuning and system load assessment
• Familiarity with ETL goals such as data management and data quality
The qualified individual will work at the center of a world-class engineering team in our operations department to help implement our second-generation data warehouse based on the combination of Hadoop, Hive, and Microsoft SQL Server.
Your expertise will help TripAdvisor to continue to be a trusted source of information for our 60M+ monthly visitors, who count on our 75M+ reviews and opinions contributed by our 32M+ registered members to help plan their trips. We’ve also been successful at building an open, flexible, and collaborative work culture. At TripAdvisor, results and ability are rewarded, politics non-existent. We operate like a start-up, with a flexible culture populated by creative thinking doers having the benefit of being a growing, financially successful business.