SmarterTravel, a TripAdvisor Company, offers travelers a portfolio of travel sites to help them find the right trip at the right price. We are a team of passionate professionals who push and drive and innovate like a start-up, but we also have a track record of success and we benefit from being a part of a large, public company.
Come join SmarterTravel’s growing Business Intelligence team as a BI Engineer. You will be involved in all phases of data warehousing from planning to implementation to support. We are a small team of 4 that move quickly, are proud of our very high level of service to all parts of the business, and are constantly looking to improve how we collect and provide data solutions to our customers.
SmarterTravel currently uses the full Microsoft SQL Server BI stack and is looking to add/use additional tools as required such as Hadoop, Hive, Kafka, Spark, Redshift, R, Graph DBs, etc.
This person will fill an essential role in the continued build out and refactoring of the existing Smarter Travel BI solutions. We are looking for someone with a solid foundation in both traditional SQL based data warehouse building as well as larger scale technologies such as Hadoop/Hive and who is not afraid to explore solutions that may be outside of our core SQL Server based tool set.
Essential Job Functions:
- Work with internal and external clients to understand business requirements
- Design, implement, and refactor Hive/Hadoop Data Lake solutions
- Design, implement, and refactor data warehouse schemas across SQL Server and Hive/Hadoop platforms
- Design, implement, and support ETL flows for the data warehouse across SQL Server and Hive/Hadoop platforms
- Design, implement, and deliver reports based on business requirements using SSRS, PowerBI
- Understand the data source systems and source data in detail and become a SME
- QA any work done by self and other team members
- Document all of the design and development artifacts
- Troubleshoot and support all BI related production processing
- Understand the current reporting environment and use that knowledge to continuously improve the enterprise data warehouse.
- 4+ years’ experience in the design, development, and testing of Data Warehouse implementations both traditional relational and Hadoop/Hive based solutions
- 4+ years of experience with SQL and Relational Databases
- 5+ years of overall software industry experience
- Experience with MS SQL Server is a must; preferably 2012+
- Extensive experience with writing SQL and Stored Procedures, query tuning etc.
- Experience with Apache Hadoop/Hive integration, R, Spark, Kafka, Java, C#, working with 3rd party API’s (Facebook, Criteo, Google)
- Deep knowledge of dimensional modeling and experience with it on at least 2 large projects in production
- Experience with ETL tools such as SSIS
- Experience with reporting tools such as SSRS, PowerBI, Excel
- Ability to communicate and work with both technical and non-technical team members
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication, teamwork, and issue resolution
- A problem-solving mindset; this individual should be highly motivated and self-directed
- BS or BA (or equivalent) in computer science or related discipline (EE, Math etc.)
At SmarterTravel, we have built an open & collaborative environment and we hire the people we want to work with (not just the ones with the right qualifications), but who also think different to us and challenge the status quo. We empower people, giving the support and autonomy needed to succeed. We embrace data to make decisions and overcome obstacles. We choose speed over perfection, but not at the expense of quality. We do what we do well, but we’re always looking to make it better. Let us know if you’d like to help.
SmarterTravel is an equal opportunity employer and evaluates applicants regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or musical preferences. We think a diverse team builds a better product.
*** This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization. ***