SmarterTravel, a TripAdvisor Company, offers travelers a portfolio of travel sites to help them find the right trip at the right price. We are a team of passionate professionals who push and drive and innovate like a start-up, but we also have a track record of success and we benefit from being a part of a large, public company.
The Independent Traveler, Inc. is part of the SmarterTravel family of sites, and is a publisher of travel Web sites including Cruise Critic, the largest cruise site of its kind; Family Vacation Critic; and, Independent Traveler. Together these sites receive over six million unique visitors a month.
We are looking for Senior Software Engineer who takes pride in their code and is a team-player, to join our expanding Cruise Critic team. We believe in a development process that's agile, but not dogmatic. People who succeed here tend to have little tolerance for unnecessary process and impediments, but also appreciate having sufficient checks and balances in place to help us work efficiently.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will develop and maintain the web services that power CruiseCritic.com and our internal systems. Responsibilities will require the ability to convert a designer’s mockup to code, along with building and maintaining our User Experience A/B tests for our 4.5 million monthly visitors.
- Design features and write code for our responsive site
- Have technical ownership over front-end, it’s code structure and preprocessing procedures
- Work closely with fellow engineers, along with our Designers and Product Managers
- Make a visible impact on our large-scale cruise review website
- 5+ years of professional experience in web development, with a focus on client-side programming
- Expert level CSS and HTML proficiency (bonus points for SASS and Gulp)
- Proven server-side experience (bonus points for PHP)
- Good working knowledge of SQL
- Computer Science degree or equivalent
- An eye for customer-friendly design and user experience
- Design skills, proficiency in Photoshop (bonus)
At SmarterTravel, we have built an open & collaborative environment and we hire the people we want to work with (not just the ones with the right qualifications), but who also think different to us and challenge the status quo. We empower people, giving the support and autonomy needed to succeed. We embrace data to make decisions and overcome obstacles. We choose speed over perfection, but not at the expense of quality. We do what we do well, but we’re always looking to make it better. Let us know if you’d like to help.
SmarterTravel is an equal opportunity employer and evaluates applicants regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or musical preferences. We think a diverse team builds a better product.
*** This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization. ***