We believe that we are better together, and at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique identities, abilities, and experiences, so we can collectively revolutionize travel and together find the good out there.
Who we are:
Tripadvisor’s global cruise business includes Cruise Critic, the world’s largest cruise reviews and information site, offering a comprehensive resource for cruise travelers which covers audiences from first-time cruisers to avid cruise enthusiasts. Cruise Critic features more than 350,000 cruise reviews and hosts the world's largest online cruise community. Our tight group works to inspire memorable experiences through passion and excellence in editorial content, technology and industry relationships. At CruiseCritic and Tripadvisor, we believe that we are better together and we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as are our people powered platforms.
What we do at Cruise Critic Engineering:
- Solve challenges of scale, user engagement and traffic growth for cruisecritic.com as well our UK and AU points of sale
- Collaborate in a fast-paced, globally distributed team to address business and technological initiatives
- Work with cutting-edge technology to deliver the best user experience, coupled with sustainable tooling, test harnesses and documentation
What you’ll do:
CruiseCritic is looking for a strong Software Engineer to join our team. In this role, you will help us build, upgrade and sustain cruisecritic.com along with its supporting suite of tools and processes that enable the success of our business. Our engineers work on all areas of our diverse stack, including a growing list of new technologies, and we favor decisive, collaborative action in all that we do. A general set of responsibilities is as follows:
- Code! Most of our engineer’s release code to production every few days and we have an as-needed release cycle to accommodate our fast-paced goals.
- Take responsibility for the quality of the code produced by you and the team
- Operate across our evolving technology stack - you'll be working with Typescript, React, NextJs, Graphql and more.
- Take responsibility for all aspects of software engineering - architecture, design, implementation, QA/CI, and maintenance.
- Touch code at every level – from the UI, through backend services and down to the database.
- Collaborate closely with Product, design teams and other business stakeholders to define feature specifications and develop high quality deliverables for our customers.
Skills & Experience:
- At least 4 years of experience of commercial software development
- Moderate to heavy AWS experience - ideally some overlap with networking, message queues, and serverless lambda.
- Functional experience in NodeJS (Typescript)
- Database management with MYSQL or similar relational databases.
- PHP experience is a strong bonus.
- CI / CD experience a plus
- Service monitoring via Datadog/Cloudwatch
- Willingness and ability to take on new technologies.
- Ability to break down complex problems into simple solutions.
- Strong analytical skills and desire to write clean, correct and efficient code.
- High quality verbal and written communication skills.
- Sense of ownership, urgency and pride in your work.
- Knowledge of NextJS is a bonus
We strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please make sure to reach out to your individual recruiter or our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.