Viator is a Tripadvisor company that makes it easy to find and book something you'll love to do. With an industry leading selection of high-quality experiences, Viator gives millions of travellers a month something new to discover, both near and far from home.
We believe that we are better together, and at Viator we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Viator, we want you to bring your unique identities, abilities and experiences, so we can collectively revolutionise travel and together find the good out there.
Tripadvisor is looking for an experienced Data Science Manager to lead our dynamic and fast paced Data Science Team on our Viator brand, home to over 300K bookable experiences worldwide. As a Manager on this team, you will have the opportunity to lead and develop current team members, while also serving as a technical leader. You will deploy your solutions online and be able to observe the impact of your work in real time as you help the company grow. This is a great opportunity to make your mark on a growing brand in the Tripadvisor family strongly recovering post Covid-19.
You will be leading a high-impact team who:
- Owns the algorithms for the Viator brand and the strategy around them
- Masters the history, challenges and opportunities
- Fully drives our Sort & Recommendations strategy, as well as partners with stakeholders across the business to maximize business objectives using data science
- Build solutions to solve quickly concrete business challenges (1 to 3 weeks projects) from heuristic to simple ML models
- Balances time between long-term projects and real-time firefighting
- Collaborates with…
- Machine learning to build more complicated solutions
- Engineering to deploy and implement the models
- Product to support additional features on the site
- Analytics to investigate trends and identify opportunities
- Supply to make sure we are operating an efficient marketplace
- Traffic to efficiently increase revenue across all channels
What you will do:
- Lead a team of 5 scientists, operating as both a technical and people lead.
- Establish a vision and roadmap for the data science function, in alignment with the company vision. Communicate easily and regularly with non-technical audiences.
- Help leadership understand the opportunities, limitations and investments needed to fully realize the potential of data science
- Deliver impact in a fast-paced, data-driven and high-growth business, bringing innovative ideas using robust analysis, models and insights
- Guide the team to solve key business problems, deliver quick solutions and be creative and efficient in the modeling approach (find the simple logic that solves most of the problem)
- Interact with many teams to support stakeholders’ projects but also owning your own initiatives
- Provide technical guidance to team members; conducting weekly brainstorming sessions and improving the team’s models and processes
- Encourage the team to take ownership of projects and to find new opportunities and problems where data science could be applied to improve the business
- Carry out A/B test experiments and understand the basics of causal inference.
What you will bring to the team:
- An interest to leverage data more to improve YoY revenue than to build the perfect model
- Willingness to have direct and visible impact on the business
- Preference for MVP + Iteration
- 5+ years of experience in data science and AI (at least 3 in industry).
- Minimum 1 year of experience as a team lead.
- PhD or Masters in a quantitative field
- Expert in SQL; Python a plus
- Ability and appetite to work in a fast paced environment (projects taking a few weeks).
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills.
What you’ll get
Highly competitive salary along with the following:
- Annual performance related bonus
- Generous stock (RSU) award upon joining, with additional awards annually
- Regular salary reviews and excellent career growth opportunities
- Very flexible working hours
- Free meals in the office
- Full family private healthcare and dental
- Excellent contributory pension
- Critical illness and full life cover
- Standard 28 days paid holiday (not including bank holidays), increasing with tenure
- £1,050 annual stipend for costs outside the office such as gym membership or home office set up
- “Summer Fridays” scheme allowing extra days off during the summer.
- 30 minute call with a recruiter to learn more about the role
- 30 minute technical interview with someone from the Viator data science team
- Four one-hour interviews with members of the team, covering technical topics - and what you would bring to Viator.
We strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please make sure to reach out to your individual recruiter or our team at email@example.com.