We believe that we are better together, and at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique identities, abilities, and experiences, so we can collectively revolutionize travel and together find the good out there.
Come join the team that made Tripadvisor famous across the globe! Tripadvisor is the largest travel site in the world with hundreds of millions of unique visitors on a monthly basis and hundreds of millions of user reviews.
The Guidance Team at Tripadvisor helps every traveler start their trip planning with initial research within our well traveled community, understand the user submitted reviews of each hotel, tour, experience or restaurant as they create their itinerary and then pay forward their experiences! Our engineering team owns the platforms involved in each step of this journey, from our extensive review platform and welcoming community within our forums or the quick hit room tips, FAQs, photos on the site and member onboarding.
The work ranges from carefully scaled backend services which require a very high degree of reliability and throughput to some of our most critical UX used by millions of travelers every day. Our team owns the workflows behind most UGC submissions as well as the engines behind surfacing the most relevant content to users while they are planning their trips.
Day to day work as a front-end oriented Principal Software Engineer on the team will entail helping more junior engineers with design challenges, code reviews, working closely with our product managers to prioritize and create work items and collaborating across the company on some of the highest profile projects on TripAdvisor. Our services are used for some of the most critical pages on the site, helping guide travelers in every step of their journey.
What you will do:
- Take on projects with independence and a mandate to leave things better than you found them.
- Participate in the planning and initial steps for key changes on the site
- Be pragmatic when solving problems with a deep understanding of the purpose and goal of your work.
- Touch code at all levels, front end to back end, data analysis whatever is required to complete your project.
- Be integral for the code quality on your team through leadership in design and code review.
- Be a mentor for others on the team.
- Help bring the team's technical knowledge and solutions to the engineering organization via tech talks and design reviews.
- 8+ years of experience as a professional engineer
- Strong experience on the front end
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent
- Prior experience running and executing large scale initiatives successfully
- Prior partnerships with business leaders, working collaboratively to achieve substantial goals
- Solid foundation in data structures, algorithms, and OO design
Nice to haves:
- Passionate about solving business problems, perhaps you come from an entrepreneurial background
- Experience working on user experience problems that meet a diverse set of users and scale to millions of interactions a day.
What you’ll get
- Highly competitive salary along with the following
- Annual bonus
- Generous Stock Award upon joining
- Additional stock awarded annually
- 401K Scheme
- Full family private medical cover
- Full dental cover
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible summer working schedule
- Time off between Christmas and New Year (on us!)
- Annual travel and wellbeing allowance ($1200+)
- Critical illness plus full life cover
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee assistance program.
We strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please make sure to reach out to your individual recruiter or our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.