Senior Software Engineer (Viator)
This is an exciting opportunity for a software engineer to join the Viator engineering team in Sydney, Australia. Viator is a world leading marketplace for experiences and is part of TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel site. The Viator team consists of world-class experts in SEO, usability, marketing, and of course, technology. Bring your skills and enthusiasm to this collaborative team.
The role will see you leading the development of parts of our marketplace platform that connects tour operators, travellers and third party distributors, including e-Commerce websites and multiple backend systems. You will work in our agile development teams using the latest technologies to deliver solutions in a fast paced and complex environment. Developers at Viator are cross-functional and get to work on complete vertical slices of functionality from the front end all the way to the database. If you are looking to be challenged technically and have fun, this is the place for you!
On your first day, we'd love for you to have:
- Expertise programming in Java or another JVM based language (Kotlin, Scala)
- Expertise in one of the following architecture patterns: microservices, serverless, event-driven
- Proven experience leading complete streams of work from design to delivery
- A passion for promoting software development fundamentals: testability, performance, simplicity - in essence, clean code.
- A passion for working within a team (we prize our team culture) and the ability to work more autonomously from time to time.
- Eagerness to learn our business domain (without understanding our domain, you can’t write your best software)
- A degree in computer science or a related field (Science, Mathematics etc.)
It would be nice if you have:
- Experience with functional or functional reactive programming
- Track record of researching and trying out new technologies
- Some Industry experience with public cloud offerings (e.g., AWS, Azure, Google cloud platform)
- An interest or involvement in open source software
- A love of travel is not required, but hey - why not?
At Tripadvisor, we believe there’s good out there. We understand that travel brings out the best in us, while lifting deserving businesses and strengthening the communities we meet along the way. We know that as the world’s largest travel site, we’re here to inspire and empower people to explore our world with confidence — and share their trip experiences with others. And every day, we see our ideas come to life in work that enables travellers to discover all the good the world has to offer. As part of the Tripadvisor team, you’ll have the opportunity to do the same.