We believe that we are better together, and at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique identities, abilities, and experiences, so we can collectively revolutionize travel and together find the good out there. We believe in championing the diverse perspectives, experiences, voices, and abilities of our employees, travelers, candidates, business partners, and industry peers. This inspires us to think bigger, act more fearlessly, improve constantly, and always remember – we are better together!
Tripadvisor is looking for an experienced Machine Learning Manager to lead our dynamic and fast paced Machine Learning Team on our Viator brand, home to over 300K bookable experiences worldwide. As a Manager on this team, you will have the opportunity to lead and develop current team members, while also serving as a technical leader who can still deploy models to production. Some common business problems we face include: recommender systems, NLP/NLU, computer vision, online advertising and targeting, ranking algorithms, and more. You will have access to the newest development tools and huge data sets. You will deploy your solutions online and be able to observe the impact of your work in real time as you help the company grow. This is a great opportunity to make your mark on a growing brand in the Tripadvisor family strongly recovering post Covid-19.
Beyond leading the team of ML scientists, you will also be expected to work cross-functionally with analysts, software engineers, data engineers, product managers, and more. You will be expected to drive forward with your own agenda and roadmap for Machine Learning at Viator, while fitting in with the larger scope of the company.
What you will do:
- Lead a team of 3-5 scientists, operating as both a technical and people lead.
- Establish a vision and roadmap for the machine learning function, in alignment with the company vision. Communicate easily and regularly with non-technical audiences.
- Help leadership understand the opportunities, limitations and investments needed to fully realize the potential of ML
- Deliver impact in a fast-paced, data-driven and high-growth business, bringing innovative ideas using robust analysis, models and insights
- Guide the team to solve key business problems and research new machine learning solutions
- Provide technical guidance to team members; conducting weekly brainstorming sessions, and staying up-to-date with the latest ML developments
- Encourage the team to take ownership of projects and to find new opportunities and problems where machine learning could be applied to improve the business
- Build (and deploy end to end) advanced supervised and unsupervised machine learning models - e.g. XGBoost/LightGBM, neural networks (auto-encoders, feedforward networks, RNNs/CNNs, language models, etc.), bandit/Bayesian algorithms, time-series modeling, and more.
- Carry out A/B test experiments and understand the basics of causal inference.
What you will bring to the team:
- PhD or Masters in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, or related field (PhD preferred).
- Strong background in machine learning and statistics. Solid foundation in data structures and algorithms.
- Experience deploying and maintaining ML models in production.
Experience training deep neural networks.
Experience with natural language processing.
- Proficiency in Python for numerical/statistical programming (including Numpy, Pandas, and Scikit-learn).
- Ability and appetite to work in a fast paced environment (projects taking 1-3 months).
- Excellent communication skills.
- 5+ years of experience in data science or machine learning (at least 3 in industry).
- Minimum 1 year of experience as a team lead.
What you’ll get:
- Highly competitive salary along with the following
- Annual bonus
- Stock and Share Package
- Annual Stock Awards
- Excellent contributory pension
- Full family private medical cover
- Full dental cover
- Annual lifestyle benefit allowance (e.g. for travel, health, fitness, wellbeing)
- Flexible working hours
- Hybrid remote working
- Critical illness plus full life cover
- Employee assistance program.
We strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please make sure to reach out to your individual recruiter or our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.