The Data Platform team at TripAdvisor is responsible for maintaining our petabytes-scale data lake and the ecosystem of tools that surround it. We are looking for talented engineers to help us take it to the next level!
The ideal candidate will have hands-on operational experience with Big Data technology. Our stack is a hybrid open-source Hadoop cloud, house-built distributed ETL tools, and public cloud (GCP/AWS) technologies that help to drive the analytics of the company. A successful engineer will be able to solve problems in a complex and distributed hybrid-cloud environment while working on a team that spans multiple time zones.
What you will be doing:
- Writing code! This is an engineering role, after all
- Working with a team of engineers to identify and improve upon the operational shortcomings of modern Big Data systems
- Using that expertise to help scale a multi-datacenter, multi-cloud analytics platform
- Leading engineering best practices, especially those surrounding build systems
- Moving quickly to create today's solutions to tomorrow's problems
What you will bring to the team:
- 5+ years of in-depth technical experience with modern Big Data technologies such as Hadoop, Hive, Presto, and Spark
- Proven experience with Google Cloud in a Big Data capacity (GCS, DataProc, BigQuery)
- Familiarity with the Linux operating system and the Bash shell
- Familiarity with build systems such as Jenkins, Ansible, or Bamboo
- General software engineering expertise; Java is preferred, but we also write a lot of Python and Kotlin
- The ability to communicate effectively in an operations environment
- Willingness to "get your hands dirty" in a modern Big Data environment