Location - Lisbon, Portugal
TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel site, operates at scale with over 500 million reviews, opinions, photos, and videos reaching over 390 million unique visitors each month. We are a data driven company, and we have lots and lots of data!
The CoreX Business unit is focused on the traveler’s experience and journey. We are using our data to help people have amazing and safe trips as they travel the world. The CoreX data engineering team are the experts in our data landscape at TripAdvisor, building out and maintaining truths to enable CoreX to empower travelers across the world finding the best hotels, the best restaurants, and the best experiences they can have!
We are looking for an experienced, hands-on data engineer to help us leverage the massive amount of data that we collect so that we can better understand how to guide each traveler to those experiences that are right for him/her. Our in-house cluster is over 10 PB and growing fast, in addition to a lot of data on AWS, Google, etc.
We need to build data marts. We need to build traffic models. We need to build business models. We need to analyze the way travelers use our site and apps. We need to leverage the significant internal resources that do data mining and machine learning to build recommenders. We need to analyze data and make sure it’s correct and clean. We need to get this data into the hands of the rest of the business.
This is a hands-on job for someone who wants to solve important business problems that depend on “big data” analysis. The job requires both serious technical chops and effective communication skills. Sometimes you will build the solution yourself, and sometimes you will be coordinating the efforts of others, but at all times you will be expected to think creatively about solving the business problem.
What you will do:
- Design and document tracking requirements for Tripadvisor initiatives, products, and customer engagement
- Design and implement ETLs to manipulate tracking data into core fact and aggregate tables that will be consumed by analysts, data scientists, machine learners, etc.
- Build out and represent core datasets that include attribution models, visitor information and funnels, product revenue, etc.
- Be the bridge to enable the data Tripadvisor has to empower the business
What you will bring to the team:
- In-depth technical experience with data technologies such as Snowflake, Hadoop (HDFS, Hive, Map/Reduce, EMR), Spark, Presto, Kafka / Samza, BigQuery, Cassandra, etc.
- Solid RDBMS operational knowledge with outstanding SQL skills
- Solid database design skills and ETL expertise, such as the ability to transform raw, noisy log level data into useful business fact tables
- 5+ years of data engineering experience
- Computer Science expertise – algorithms, data structures, software engineering
- General software and programming experience; a lot of our codebase is in Java , but we have lots of Python and Kotlin as well. The ability to navigate this codebase is critical.
- Ability to understand and communicate our business stakeholders and domain experts.
- Strong sense of responsibility: taking pride in your work, leveraging others, owning the problem
And you love, and we mean love, data!